Monday, March 19, 2018

A Mermaid Shirt

She’s going to fall in love
Wearing a mermaid shirt

Do you believe it?

I had her swinging off the roof
I was like—

Danielle, you get down from that roof

But I had to fake how mad I was
Because I thought the whole thing
Was pretty sweet
To tell you the truth

My first time falling in love was
When I turned eight-years-old

I fell for Mike Collins
The boy across the street
That my sister was dating

Danielle’s eleven
So even though I tell her
She’s too young
To be in love
Truthfully, she’s a little behind
Her mother
In that regard

But I still get nervous
That she’s going to get her heart broken
Because she’s so damn sweet
And trusting
And summer’s only so long

She’s running around
In that mermaid shirt
Acting like Hercules
Couldn’t lift her
Because her soul’s so full

And that just means
When the Fall rolls around
She’s going to crack into more pieces
Than I can pick up

This is where her father would come in handy
If he wasn’t stuck in the Middle East
Trying to sell Jeep Wranglers
To the Saudi’s

He’s the one who sent Danielle
The mermaid shirt
And now she won’t take it off
Because she thinks it’s magical

Just because
It came from far away

I told her I can get her ten more shirts like that one
At the Target
But she won’t let me wash it
Or even look at it funny
Even though it’s gotta smell by now

And I doubt any boy’s going to love her
If she’s wearing a dirty shirt
With a mermaid on it

Right now she’s dancing on the roof
To whatever that song is
I can’t stand

And if I was half the parent
My mother was
I would force her to come down
And do these dishes
That have been sitting here
Since last Halloween

But…

She hasn’t smiled in awhile
What with her dad gone and all
And I only know so many jokes
To make her laugh

So…

So if a boy makes her happy enough
To dance on the roof
Wearing a shirt with some girl on it
With seashells
For a bra--

Then so be it

Let something else
Take her down
Because it’s not
Gonna be me

She was up there for five hours
Yesterday
And when she came down
She plopped
Right down next to me
On the couch
While I was watching Jeopardy

The next thing I know
Her head is in my lap
And she’s snoring so loud
I couldn’t even hear the clues

But I stroked her hair
And just, you know
Just looked at her

Your kids get to an age
When they don’t really let you
Look at them anymore
Because it makes ‘em feel weird--

You staring at them
Like there’s something wrong
When really
You can’t just get over
How fast they’re growing up

I kind of just…savored it

Her laying down
Fast asleep on me
Like she used to do
When she was little

My little girl
All full up on love
And summer
And wearing a shirt
Her dad bought her
That she never wants
To take off

God, I thought, there’s so much
Weighing on my mind
But you gave me a little girl
Who still wants to fall asleep on me
When she’s too tired to hold herself up
And if that isn’t the best thing on earth
Then I don’t know what is

And maybe one of these days
She’ll let me wash that shirt
But if she doesn’t…

Well

There’s plenty of other things
To worry about

No comments:

Post a Comment