Monday, March 19, 2018

I Tell God You're Here

I tell God you’re here

God asks
If you’ve murdered anybody
And I say--

I don’t know
I just know they’re here

Some people are scared
Of talking back to God
But I’m not

I was given a job
And I was given it
By God
So if God doesn’t like
What I have to say
God can find
Somebody else to say it
And I’ll go back
To sitting on a porch
Dripping lemonade
With Ben Franklin

Well, I don’t know
If he was really Ben Franklin
But he sure as hell
Knows how to fly a kite

So you show up
And I say--

God, they’re here

And God wants to know
If you’ve murdered anybody
And I say--

Why don’t you just ask them yourself?

Because I’m not here
To be some sort of
Middleman

I’m not interested
In vetting anybody
That’s not my job
That’s not something
I know how to do

God wants to know
If you’ve got any
Outstanding parking tickets

I roll my eyes at that one
Because if murderers
Can get all the way
To God’s door
Then who the hell cares
If you’ve got parking tickets

God cares, I guess

God wants to know
If you liked science fiction movies
If you were interested in astrological signs
If you owned a telescope

God has a thing
About stars
And people
Who invest in them

And I’m not one of those people
And I have no interest
In those people

Although my nephew
Did name a constellation after me
Two years after I died
And that was nice
That was really nice

But none of that matters
To you
And you don’t matter to me
And we both matter to God
But God’s job isn’t to shut you out
Or usher you in

God’s just there
And you’re here
And my job
Is to tell God
You’re here

I don’t ask anything
I don’t quiz
I don’t care
What the hell you did
When you were alive

That’s none of my business
And, if you want my opinion,
It’s none of God’s business either

You’re standing here
At the gates
And God wants to know
A few things about you
Before you’re welcomed
Into Paradise

And I just think--
And this is just me

--I think if you made it this far
Then you should be all set

A sinner and a saint
Look the same
At the gate

That’s how I put it

And that’s how I put it to God
When I tell God
You’re here

And sometimes I hold you hand
And sometimes I hold God’s hand
And sometimes I hold your hand
And God’s hand
Because I have two hands
So why not?

Why not?

Everybody needs their hand held
Every now and again

So I don’t mind

Between you and me?

I don’t mind that

At all

No comments:

Post a Comment