Saturday, March 24, 2018

Regarding Your Husband

It’s a problem at the barbecue
And at the pool party
And at the birthday party
And at every single function
For school

And it’s not her husband

It’s never her husband

It’s just everybody’s else’s husband
Acting bad
And saying whatever
And doing the wrong thing

And we’re all supposed to take our husbands
And our kids
And give them a good old lecture
When we get home

But not her

Never her

She’s just peachy
And so’s her spouse

Well, pardon me
But fuck that

Her husband thinks he’s so sneaky
He thinks he's got so much charm

And you know, before I was married to Mitch
I was working in the city
And I knew all sorts of men
Just like her husband

Whispering into other people’s ears
Making people laugh with dirty jokes
Getting everybody else in trouble
And walking away scott free

So when Mitch and I got married
And he introduced me
To all the neighbors
And Tim shook my hand
And gave me that little grin of his
I knew exactly what kind of man he was

Now I guess Mitch’s first wife
Was pretty timid
And she and Mr. Charm
Got along like gangbusters

No surprise there

But he saw me
And I saw him
And we each knew
Who the other was

So the first time everybody got in trouble
For that dust-up at the Homecoming game
I knew exactly who was to blame

And so, I called her up
Just like any good neighbor would
And I told her
That I thought her husband should come forward
And admit
That he was the one
Who made those comments
That got my husband
And my kid
And a lot of other husbands
And a lot of other kids in trouble

Oh, she was so offended

You would have thought
She married Mother Theresa
The way she balked
At what I was saying

Like I was dancing
On the grave of Christ
Or something

I felt so put-upon
Because she knew
That’s not what I was doing

That the phone call
Was my way of letting her know
That I had her husband’s number

Oh, but did she dance
And dramatize
And it was so well-rehearsed
I could tell
That she had done it before

That she had practiced
This little vaudeville routine
Many, many times
And now I was getting
The Greatest Hits

I let her finish
But then I told her
Flat out
That the next time
Her husband
Decides to let loose
Some vile and disgusting opinions
He better stand there
And take ownership of them
Instead of walking away
And letting everybody else
Get the blame

She hung up on me
And then an hour later
I get a call from the husband
Asking if he can speak to Mitch

And I said—

Mitch didn’t call your wife
I did

So you can talk to me

Oh, and he didn’t like that
Not at all

But I set him straight
And told him
If he didn’t grow a spine
And march down to that school
To claim his consequences
I was going to drive to his house
Grab him by his tiny little pecker
And drag him down there myself

And sure enough
The very next day
He owned up to it

The whole thing

And I got a very nice phone call
From his wife
Apologizing
For how she had reacted
When I talked to her

I said—

Oh honey, don’t you worry about it
You can’t help it
That you're married to an asshole

She hung up on me again

A little while later
The asshole came over
And we had a very nice chat
And then a very nice…

Well

Mitch was at work
And he’s been getting awfully fond
Of that paralegal of his
With the red hair?

Not that I was punishing him
It just…

Assuaged my anger

Plus, it’s fun
Having a little party
With a man
After you’ve put him
In his place

The way I see it

You keep a man in line
By knocking him down

Then you give him a little treat
While he’s down there
So he doesn’t ever
Want to come back up again

Maybe I should call up his wife
And give her that advice

I’d say—

Oh honey, trust me
It works like a charm

Like a real charm

No comments:

Post a Comment