Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Promise Me a Velvet Sky

Promise me a velvet sky
And I’ll decide
If you deserve me

One day I’m going to be old
And you’re going to be gone
And I’ll say—

What do I have?

What do I have
After all that
Hemming and hawing

What do I have left
From two days in Acapulco
With a sandwich man
Who forgot the bread?

Velvet, you know

Everybody could use a little velvet
In their lives

You got the mosquito netting
All tucked around you
Like it’s going to protect you
From things that bite

The bugs aren’t the only things
That bite around here

That preacher’s going on
Calling out for repentant souls
To join him
In the flagellating
And gyrating
And gesticulating

Onto the weeping stones
They’ll rock

Delivering their private transgressions
To the Lord above

Mercy
Mercy
Mercy

And you?

What are you gonna do?

Just lay there
Listening to them

You think they’re gonna stay down
Below our fancy veranda
And not look up
While they’re looking for God?

Realize that we’re tucked away cozy
Riddled with our sin
Making fools of their Latin piety?

They’re going to race up here
Tear you off of me
And say I was attacked

That I was assaulted

And what’ll I have
To show ‘em that I wasn’t?

A velvet sky?

You could give me one

Paint it on my skin, Mr. Sandwich Man
I’m as hungry as anyone
You’re likely to meet
This far from the border

Para ceiling fans turn slowly, you know?

Ventiladores de techo giran lentamente

Lazy they are

Just
Like
You

You and your big muscles
And your big brain
With its big ideas

Wandering through town
Looking for a heart to corrupt

And didn’t I give you mine?
And didn’t it satisfy you?
And didn’t it bleed
Just how you wanted it to?

And did I ask you
For anything in return?

Did I want money
Like all those other greedy hands
Reaching out to you
When you got off the boat?

Little monsters
With open mouths
Looking for coins
Or chocolate
Or the body of Christ
To cleanse their eternal hunger
If not they’re physical pangs?

Crees que no sé quién eres

Oh I knew
I knew all along

But you had clouds
Floating around your head
And I just love
A trip up to nowhere

So I prayed
For you to take me back here
To this room

I wanted you to lay me out
Under these abrigado sheets
Where I could sweat out
All my worst desires

And you did it, didn’t you?

You made it all happen
For me

And I’m grateful to you

But what are you going to do now, huh?

Now that the prayers
Come with knives
And the Bible-thumpers
Want to do
Something more
Than thump?

What
Are you
Gonna do
Now?

You’ll have to let me know

Or don’t
Or wait

Take as long as you want

I’m not like everybody else, you know

I just love
Being kept
In the dark

No comments:

Post a Comment