Wednesday, March 21, 2018

The Thing

So everybody’s got a thing, right?


Now, you look--


You look for someone
With no thing
Not nothing
I’m saying ‘No Thing’


That’s what you look for, right?

We accept
As a society
That everybody’s got a thing


And we know what our thing is


But to us, our thing is so big
And so awful
And so, like, oh my god
This thing
It’s so whatever
That it takes up a huge amount of space
In our--in our lives

And so we can’t imagine making room
For somebody else’s thing
On top of our thing, right?


So even though we know it’s unrealistic
We look for somebody without a thing


And we never find it


We never
Ever
Find it


Oh, we tell ourselves
That we find it

That we find someone
With no thing
And then when the person
Ends up having a thing
We’re like--


What the fuck?
When did you get a thing?


But they always had a thing
Because everybody
Has
A thing


Now, I had a friend
A girl
She liked drunks


I mean, she didn’t like them
But she’d see them
And something about them would--


She’d be drawn to them
Is how I’d put it


Like a magnet or--


Yeah


And our friends
Our other friends
Would get mad at her
For liking guy after guy
Who would, you know
Drink too much


But not me


Because I’d be like--
I mean, I’d say--
To our mutual friends--


Well, at least that’s the only thing
Wrong with those guys
Usually


And they’d be like--


Yeah, and--?

And I’d be like--


So that’s their thing


And so, like, for her
For our friend who dated those guys
She could handle that
That wasn’t a dealbreaker for her


She was like--


Okay, they’re gonna have a thing
Everybody has a thing
What thing can I deal with?


And for her
It was drinking


And, you know, to me?

That seems totally reasonable


Better to know
Which things you can deal with
And which things you can’t
Instead of, uh, you know
Just telling yourself
You’re going to fall in love
And just magically be able to deal with
You know, everything


Or tell yourself
That love means--
Or it’s, uh--
Or that you can, you know--


Fall for someone
Who doesn’t have a thing


Because that doesn’t exist, right?

I mean, don’t we all agree
That doesn’t exist?


Can we at least agree on that?


Can that be the one thing
We all agree on?


Better to know, right?

Better to know what it is you’re getting
And know that you can handle it


Otherwise, you know, you’re just--


You’re just, uh, destined
To wind up with somebody
Who’s thing is, like, you know, a dealbreaker for you
And that’s--


That’s no good, you know?

That’s just no good
For anybody

No comments:

Post a Comment