Friday, March 16, 2018

Mary Won't Use the Phone

I’m sorry, Mae
But you can’t teach an old dog
New tricks

And this twenty-eight years old dog
Is no exception

I’ve learned everything
I’m going to learn in my life
Except for how to put in false teeth
And how to die beatifically

And I’ll tell you something else--

I am not going to be made
To feel ashamed
For being phone illiterate

Ever since they came out with that contraption
Two years ago
All anybody wants to do
Is ask you
If you know how to use it

Can I ask you something?

What was wrong with the telegram?
What was wrong with writing letters?
What was wrong with smoke signals?

Kids today are going to have no idea
How to make a proper smoke signal
And that’s sad, Mae
That’s a true shame

My sister got a phone at her house
And now you can’t get her
Out of the bathtub

Well, the bathtub is in the kitchen
So that’s where they put the phone

You didn’t expect them
To put it in the bedroom, did you?

Heavens above, Mae
The things you come up with

A phone in the bedroom!

Why not just invite the whole neighborhood
To sit by the window and listen
While you tend to your husband?

What is this world coming to?

As it stands, my sister spends five whole minutes
Every single day
Gossiping with her friend June

Mind you, June lives right up the road
Just fifteen short miles
And there my sister is
Yakking away on the phone

Laziness is pervading
The collective consciousness, Mae

It’s corrupting
Our souls
By way of our ears

Mother always said
That was how
The devil would get in

I had a look at this device
When I went to drop off
My sister’s Wednesday corset
And sure enough
It seemed as foreign to me
As a Swedish hand towel

You talk into one end
You listen with the other
There’s a circle
There’s a cord
It’s all too much for me

No, thank you

That’s what I said

Nooooooo, thank you

Besides, you should hear my sister now
Mentioning all the things she knows about
Because of that phone

So-and-so is having a birthday party
For their son
This one is celebrating an anniversary
That one is opening their second saloon

Why, if I knew about all those occasions
I might actually be expected
To attend them

Can you imagine?

Me parading myself around town
Going to every little event
And party

No, thank you
Very much

I much prefer sitting at home
In blissful ignorance
Not knowing what’s going on
In the lives of anyone
That’s important to me

If I want to attend an event
I’m sure I’ll find out about it
And if I don’t find out about it
It’s probably because
I have no interest in it
Because it doesn’t have
Anything to do with me

That system has worked
For hundreds of years
And I see no reason
To disrupt it now

As soon as you start connecting people to each other
They start depending on each other
Expecting support from each other
And pretty soon
You have anarchy

It’s a short road
From connection
To corruption, Mae

A very short road

A lot shorter than the time it would take
To walk fifteen miles
And say ‘Hi, June, how are you?’

Honestly, Mae
This world we live in

It’s getting smaller all the time

No comments:

Post a Comment