Friday, March 23, 2018

The Marrying Men

She just doesn’t want
One of the Marrying Men

That’s the problem

She goes out every night
With some other guy
From Scoville
Or Landon Hills
Or Bryar
But when I try to tell her
That those guys
Are guys
And not men
She just laughs at me
And gets right in the car anyway

You know, when I was younger
I used to daydream
About what people did
On Friday nights

I never did anything
But stay at home with Mom
And watch Wheel of Fortune
While she sat with a big bowl of peapods
And told me how lonely she was
Like I wasn’t sitting right there with her

I used to think about my friends

--Or the kids at school
That I thought were my friends

I used to wonder
What they were up to
And, like--

If they were doing fun stuff?

A few of them used to sit in homeroom
On Monday mornings
And talk about
Doing this or that

One time I heard this girl Jeannie
Say she went into the city
On a Friday night
And got into this eighteen-plus club
Because she was dating the bouncer
And I thought that was the most grown-up
And exciting thing
I ever heard

The city
A club
Bouncers
Going out on a Friday

I said that one day
When I was older
I was going to do something
Just like that

But two days after high school
Working down at Nicholson’s Uniforms
I met Carl

He came in to buy shirts
For the little league team
He was coaching
And I could tell
Right away
That he was one of those
Marrying Men

Sure enough
Eight months later
We’re tying the knot
And living in Temple
Which…

I never thought
I’d have a house in Temple

My mother wouldn’t even come visit me
Because she said the house was too nice
Like that’s any reason to stay away

She thought I had airs all of a sudden
That...

That I had my chin up
Or something like that

It was—

It was wild
It really was

Then when the baby came along
And Carl started working more
And pretty soon
He was working too much
In my opinion

We never did go out
On Friday nights
Because he was always busy
At the factory
Trying to keep things going
And then…

Heart attack at forty-three years old
Do you believe it?

I sure didn’t

Now I got sixteen-year-old daughter
Who barely remembers her father
And goes out looking for another one
On Friday nights

Except she doesn’t want someone like him
Because she thinks a guy like him
Is going to drop dead on her
Like mine did on me

She saw what it was like
Having a heart get crushed
And so all she wants is some fun
With a Scoville boy
Or one of those Landon Hills juvie's
Who get high in the parking lot at the high school

Isn’t it funny that they won’t go to school during the day
But as soon as the last bell rings on Friday
They’re pulling into the parking lot
Ready to sit there all night
Laughing about dumb shit
And teaching my daughter god knows what?

That’s the thing

All these years later
And I still don’t know
What people do
On Friday nights

Not even my little girl

I just know she’s not hanging out
With any Marrying Men

Boys, guys, jerks, assholes
Troublemakers

Sure

But no Marrying Men

No men like her father

She’s not going anywhere near
Men like him

And that’s all I know
About what she does

Sometimes I think
That’s all I can bear
To know

No comments:

Post a Comment