Monday, March 19, 2018

My Pretentious Vacation

These are photos
Of my pretentious vacation


This is where I built homes
For African orphans


This is me
With one of the African orphans


As you can see
I’m holding the African orphan
And I’m being very compassionate
About the whole thing

Very tender
Very loving


I’m really leaning into compassion
At this moment
And I’m also holding a water bottle
Because I needed to keep an eye
On my hydration
While building the houses--

Well--huts

--For the orphans

Because shortly before this vacation
I found out
That I’m actually part fish
And that was a real wake-up call for me


I thought about piloting a submarine
And sinking to the bottom of the ocean
Escaping through some side door
And swimming towards--


Well, who knows?


Before my pretentious vacation
I didn’t know my lineage was aquatic
And therefore
Unable to feel empathy
For orphans
African, or otherwise


And had I known
I wouldn’t have wasted
Precious pretentious
Vacation days
Building homes--

--Well, huts

--For children I can’t even feel
Real compassion for


This is a photo of me
Standing on a beach
Thinking about my life
And my new life
A life I assume will include
Crustaceans
Singing crustaceans
Like Ariel
In The Little Mermaid


Here’s where I delivered clean water
To a tribe of people
Who can’t drink water
If it’s touched by a Western woman
Who’s using their thirst
For a photo op


I didn’t care for that tribe

I don’t care for any group of people
Who don’t understand
That it's okay to use suffering
For advancement
Provided you’re willing to trade
A little perception
For a little perspective


Perspective?

Is that the word I want?


Perspective?

Huh…


Well, here’s me and a man I met
On a boat
And I forget where the boat was going
But he and decided to get married
And, in fact, we did
But then we got divorced
On the plane ride home


But in between
There was a wedding
In the middle of the jungle


Our witnesses were a cheetah
And a low-hanging vine
And we made love several times
Before arriving at the conclusion
That we barely knew each other
And that marriage is a construct
Best left to people like our parents


Well, maybe not my parents
Since one of them was an atheist
And the other was a lobster

A lobster or a swordfish?

It’s hard for me to know
Since so much of my life is a lie


This is a photo of me
Holding another African orphan


This is a photo of me
Holding two African orphans


This is a photo of me
Holding twenty-nine
African orphans


In all eight
Of my arms


Does this mean I’m an octopus?
Or am I a squid
If my main two arms don't count?

And does this mean I have room
For compassion
Despite my believing that--
As a fish
It would be impossible for me
To feel anything like that?


How many African orphans
Would I have to hold
To feel human?
To feel like a person?


How many would I have to hold
To feel like a good person?


Do I have enough arms?
Are there enough orphans?
And do I have enough vacation days?


And how many photos would I have to take
To set it all in stone?


To prove that I am
Who I want to be?


To show
To show
To show


To show you
What I’d like you
To know

No comments:

Post a Comment