Thursday, May 21, 2020

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground

You keep asking me

How long I’m gonna

Be home for


I don’t fuckin’ know


Two days?
Three?


I didn’t even bring bags

I didn’t know I was comin’ home

And tell him

To stop givin’ me that fuckin’ eye

Or I’ll pop him one

I’m not gonna take disrespect

While I’m here


Before I left

All I did was let you all

Take pops at me

And I’m not doing it anymore


I saw your face

When I came up the walk


Oh good

Oh goodie

Our punchin’ bag’s back

What a treat


Fuckin’ blast

That’s what I said

Blast your ass

If you think

That’s how it’s gonna be

While I’m back here


I’ve been to the city

I’ve seen some shit

And when you’ve seen some shit

You don’t take shit

You get it?


Nobody’s sayin’

You need to be scared of me

But I’m scared of myself


I’m scared shitless

Of myself


You got me sleepin’

In this room

That I never slept in before

Tellin’ me it’s mine


It’s not mine


You gave mine away


You gave everything away

And what’s left?


Didn’t you miss me?

Didn’t you miss something

Other than slappin’ me around

And blamin’ me for everything?


Is that why you all have

Black eyes in both sockets

And all those bruises?

Because once the kick-a-billy’s gone

You gotta kick something else?


You kick this time

You’re gettin’ kicked right back

And I don’t give a fuck

Who gets it in the head


Just try making me feel bad

For defendin’ myself


I won’t


I came up that walkway

And I heard all of you

Shoutin’ in here

And I knew the hell

Was just as fresh as it was

When I walked away


Ran away


And nobody even came lookin’


I’m sitting there

In the back of my buddy’s truck

Thinkin’ you all

Were gonna come lookin’

And you couldn’t be bothered


As much as you loved

Punchin’ on me

You couldn’t be bothered

To come get me

Wherever I was


So there I am in the city

Eating two dollar pizza

And livin’ with junkies

And pretty soon

I missed you fuckers


But that’s not why
I came back

And that’s doesn’t mean

I’m stayin’


It just means

I needed to come back

To show you

I got some sense in me now

And if you want to go

The rest of your lives

Thinking I’m the same

As when I left here

You’re wrong


You opened the door

And I thought you

Were gonna take a swing

At me


And part of me

Wishes you had


Part of me would have loved

One more pop

Just to let me know

I did the right thing

Coming home

No comments:

Post a Comment