Friday, May 29, 2020

Perverts Up and Down the Street

Ever since it got hot out

Everybody in the neighborhood

Has their windows open

And I--


I should tell you

That usually I put the air on


I like the air

I don’t like fresh air


You know what fresh air has?


Bugs


Bugs and disease


Growing up, you put the air on

My mother would scream at you

Like you set the house on fire


You opened the windows

And let the fresh air in


You know what got in?


Bugs and disease

And heat


Notice they don’t call it ‘cool’ air

They call it ‘fresh’ air

Because nobody claims

It cools anything down

It’s just something your mother did

Because she didn’t want

To turn on the a/c


So I grow up

I get my own house

We have the central air

I’m excited

First summer comes around
I turn on the air

Everything is wonderful


This year

The air breaks

I see the bill to fix the air

I think ‘You know what?

Maybe my mother was onto something’


I open the windows


Now, I live in a nice neighborhood

With nice people


Or so I thought


Do you have any idea

The kind of things I’m hearing

Every day

With these windows open?


You got all these people home now

Because nobody works anymore

Or if they do

They work from home

Or they work at night
I don’t know

It’s none of my business

But it is the middle of the day

And I am hearing things

I do not need to be hearing


Perverts up and down the street


Now I love my neighbors

I’ve never met them

But I see them sometimes

When I’m out

Walking the cat

Because she gets anxious

And you would think

I was living in a skin flick

The way these people carry on


Now at night

Would I say anything?

No


You want to have some fun

After six pm

That’s up to you


That’s why no matter how hot it is
I close my windows

At night

And I sweat

And I cry

And I pass out

But I don’t want my neighbors

Hearing my husband yelling

While he’s watching old basketball games

From the eighties


They don’t need to hear that


But during the day

I keep my windows open

And I keep my family quiet

Because nobody wants to be

That house on the street

Where you know all their business

Because they leave their windows open
And then put on a show for everybody


Except now I’m the only quiet house

On the street

And everybody else

Is acting out Boogie Nights

As soon as the sun comes up


Can you tell me

What has gotten into people?


Did somebody sprinkle

Angel dust

All over everything

And I missed my dose?


It is unbearable

And it’s not even July yet


It’s got me yearning for fireworks

And I hate fireworks

The cat has a panic attack

If you so much as set off a sparkler


But this year

I’m putting a Xanax

In her tuna

And I’m saying ‘Let ‘em rip’

Because at least that kind of noise

Doesn’t have my fifteen-year-old

Giggling like a maniac everyday


It’s out of control


Strangely enough

I opened my windows the other night

Because I couldn’t take the humidity

And it was quiet as all get-out


You could hear a pin drop


Not a sound

In the neighborhood


Well, I guess after doing

What they were doing all day


They must have needed

A good night’s sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment