Friday, May 8, 2020

The Man in the Telephone Booth Who Isn’t Using the Telephone

There’s a man in the phone booth

Who isn’t on the phone


He’s not speaking

He hasn’t finished

Saying anything

To anyone


He’s far enough

Away from me

To not make me

Afraid


But the quiet move quick

And he seems poised to move

If he wants to


Part of me wants to

Walk up to the booth
And ask him

If there’s someone

I should call


His hands are closed

And I wonder

If there are quarters

Against him palms


Is he thinking

Of what he wants to say

And who he wants

To say it to?


The man in the phone booth
Who isn’t on the phone

Is standing stock still

But his mouth is open

Just a bit


His lips are more broken

Than open

I suppose


If I think about it

His feet are on the ground

But he seems to be

Lifted by something


The booth is small

As phone booths are

But he seems to take up

Not much room in it at all


He looks like

He could sit

If he wanted to


He looks like

He could vanish

If he wanted to


I feel breath on my neck

But there’s no one there


The man in the booth

Who isn’t on the phone

Is still within

My line of sight


But can be there

And behind me

At once?


What can’t he be?
Why can’t anybody be

Or do

Anything

They want


Strange how you meet

Or see

See someone

And know instantly

That they’ve figured out

How to step past limitation

And you’re a step behind


And are you afraid

Because you should be

Afraid

Or because

You know

There’s no catching up

And this person

This person

Who knows

How to be in a telephone booth

But not on the phone

Might decide

To be not very nice

With their unconditional

Abilities


There’s a man and he’s staring

Not at you

But past you


So what is he seeing?

Should you turn around?
Should you?

What could be so fascinating

That a man in a booth

Who’s not on the phone

Will not stop staring

Will not stop staring

Will not stop staring


You stare at the man

Who’s in the booth

Who’s not on the phone

And you don’t turn around

Even as the man

Picks up the phone

And dials a number

And asks someone

To please

Pick

Up

No comments:

Post a Comment