Sunday, May 3, 2020

Love Letters Burn Faster

Love goes up
Like dry maple

With a quick crisp
Pop
And a fast-flip
Fire

The letters are written
On the parchest
Of paper
But it’s not the material
That makes it take
So terrifically

It’s the love in the letter

The sentiment
In the kindling

It’s the past naivete
That I left you
In those letters
That make up
Elegant prose
And so the flames rose
Then what was left
But the trash
That we had
To stamp down
Before it got
Out of hand

I took all your letters
And set them in a pile
Next to my junk mail
And my cable bills
And my unpaid utilities
And the magazines
I never got
To read

A match went down
On the second pile
And it took awhile
Before smoke
Came up

But the first pile?

The ones with folded edges
And dredged up poetry
That you plagiarized
From women
And tried to feed to me

That went up like brush
Like twigs
Like campfire stock

Away it went
And with it
I felt engulfed
Though I was
Far enough away
To know
That I could say
Okay

My backyard barbecue
Of platitudes
That once got repeated
And attributed
To you
Should have been used
To cook me a steak

Rare but not bloody
With no sauce
And no starch
Singed
But not stuck
To the metal
Only the sticky parts
That add
To later flavor

Just a piece of meat
That I could eat
Knowing the heat
From your burned-out
Bullshit
Provided it
To me

Love goes out
Like it came in

Sadly, slowly
Without much notice
And the smell
Of something
Powerful
That’s now
Begone

You arrived after
The last great love
And so yours
Was fueled
By cool gestures
Like letters
And gifts
And promises
Of what you could give
Rather than
What I wanted to give
To you

When the checks
Stopped checking out
I took all those letters
And put them in a box

I knew when I was ready
They’d go up
Along with anything else
I needed to see
Broil in front of me

It’s nothing of you
Just me
And what I needed
To torch
To send
To memory

It’s not the sender
It’s the receiver, you see

But I guess I should thank you
For sending them
To whoever it is

I used to be

No comments:

Post a Comment