Thursday, May 14, 2020

I'd Like to (Softly) Cut the Cord

(Ringing. A SERVICE REP picks up.)


REP

Hi, this is Metro Cable, who am I

speaking with today?


(Sound of HAIR BRUSHING.)


Hello?


(Soft breathing for a beat.)


I--hello?


(The CUSTOMER comes on the

line. The CUSTOMER uses ASMR

throughout the call, including a

very soothing tone.)


CUSTOMER

Hello.


REP

Uh, hi--Hello. Who am I

speaking with today?


CUSTOMER

One moment. I need to

take a drink of water.


REP

Of course, I’ll just--


(Sound of someone

DRINKING a glass of

water, then ‘Ahhh.’)


Uh, can I--


CUSTOMER

My name is...Dana Baltshoren.


REP

Thank you and can I get

your customer number?


CUSTOMER

4...3...7...1...1...2.


REP

(Yawns.)

Oh, I apologize I--you

have a very, uh, lovely

voice if you don’t mind

me saying so.


CUSTOMER

I have...no idea what

you’re...talking about.


REP

Oh, all right, well--


CUSTOMER

I’d like...to cancel...my cable.


REP

All right, well, uh, are you

unhappy with--


CUSTOMER

One moment.  I need...to hum.


(CUSTOMER hums for a

beat or two.)


REP

Uh, Dana, I’m just wondering if

there’s something I can do to,

uh, assist you in having a better

cable experience?


CUSTOMER

You’re...a cog...in the...

capitalist...machine. So...no.


REP

What if we, uh, lowered

your monthly bill?


CUSTOMER

By...how...much?


REP

Well, I can take it down

by, uh, let me see here--

thirty-seven cents?


CUSTOMER

Cut...the cord.


REP

Maybe I could--


CUSTOMER

I’m going to pour myself

another glass of water.


REP

I’d rather you didn’t?


(Nevertheless, sound of

WATER POURING.)


CUSTOMER

Now...I...demand...justice.


REP

Ma’am, you sound angry

and yet..very calm?


CUSTOMER

I’m...furious.


REP

What if we added Toboggan

to your current plan?


CUSTOMER

What’s...Toboggan?


REP

I think it’s a channel for

people who like toboggans,

but I can’t be sure.


CUSTOMER

Blow it...out your…


REP

Ma’am, please don’t

finish that sentence.


CUSTOMER

I’m going...to crinkle...

some paper.


REP

You’re--what?


(Sound of CRINKLING

PAPER.)


Ma’am, what if I add Tobbogan

and a free t-shirt that says

‘I Love Metro Cable?’


(More CRINKLED PAPER.)


Two free t-shirts?


(Sound of FINGERNAILS

TAPPING.)


Two free t-shirts and a

half-priced bumper sticker?


CUSTOMER

Let...me speak...

to your manager?


REP

I--okay, fine. Please hold.


(BEEP. SUPERVISOR comes

on the line.)


SUPERVISOR

Yes?


REP

It’s another ASMR.


SUPERVISOR

You’re kidding.


REP

I’m losing it. If she pours

one more glass of water,

I’m going to pass out in

my cubicle.


SUPERVISOR

Just do what the blue

binder says.


REP

I did.


SUPERVISOR

She didn’t want the t-shirt?


REP

No.


SUPERVISOR

Dammit.


REP

She doesn’t want

Toboggan either.


SUPERVISOR

Well, nobody wants

Toboggan. I’m not even

sure what’s on that channel.


REP

So what do we do?

Cut the cord?


SUPERVISOR

We never cut the cord.

If we just keep her on

the phone long enough,

she’ll break.


REP

How do we keep her on

the phone?


SUPERVISOR

You have to fight fire with fire.

Do you have any paper there?


REP

I’m sitting in a cubicle.

I’m surrounded by paper.

And half-empty cans of

Diet Coke.


SUPERVISOR

Great. Let’s get on the

line together.


(BEEP.)


Hi ma’am, I’m a supervisor

here at Metro Cable.


REP

One moment. I’m giving

my dog a haircut.


(BUZZING sound.)


SUPERVISOR

That’s all right, ma’am.

I have to play my oboe

for a bit anyway.


(OBOE playing on top

of buzzing.)


REP

Uh, should I--


SUPERVISOR

Don’t you have

some...paper to rip?


REP

Uh, yes.  Yes, I do.


(PAPER RIPPING on top

of BUZZING and OBOE.

The SUPERVISOR begins

talking over all this.)


SUPERVISOR

Ma’am, I would love to be

able to offer you two full

hours of free cable six

months from now if you

change your mind about

cancelling your cable plan

and stay with our family

here at Metro Cable where

we love and value you.


(BUZZING stops, as does

other SOUNDS.)


CUSTOMER

Eat...my…


SUPERVISOR

One moment.


(Sound of VIOLIN.)


REP

What is happening?


SUPERVISOR

Are you done ripping

your paper?


REP

I can--rip more--?


SUPERVISOR

Do it.


(PAPER RIPPING.)


CUSTOMER

You...monsters.


SUPERVISOR

We really want to keep

you as a customer, ma’am.

If that makes us monsters,

then call me Frankenstein.


REP

Frankenstein was the

doctor not the--


(VIOLIN stops.)


SUPERVISOR

I will come out of my office

and smash this violin over

your head if you tell me he’s

the doctor not the monster.


CUSTOMER

Cut...my cord...or I’ll...

go...nuclear.


REP

What does that mean?


CUSTOMER

I have...a theremin.


SUPERVISOR

Ma’am, let’s calm down.


CUSTOMER

I...will end you.


REP

What’s a theremin?


SUPERVISOR

It’s a frequency oscillator.


REP

I still don’t--


(Sound of THEREMIN playing.)


SUPERVISOR

I was afraid of this.


(CUSTOMER speaks

over the THEREMIN.)


CUSTOMER

You...will bend...to my...will.


SUPERVISOR

Ma’am, I can’t let you cancel

your cable.


CUSTOMER

I...will rain...fire...upon…


REP

Um.


CUSTOMER

...You.


REP

Should we just let her go?


SUPERVISOR

You shut your mouth. We

do not let our customers go.

Do we let them down? Constantly.

But we do not let them go. We

make them sign fifty-year contracts

that stipulate we get to take at

least one of their children and

they love us for it.


CUSTOMER

I’m going...to pour...water...

on...my theremin.


REP

Please stop this.


SUPERVISOR

Ma’am, there must be

something you want that

I can promise to give you

three years from now?


CUSTOMER

Cut...the...cord.


REP

Please just cut her cord.


SUPERVISOR

Okay, you forced me hand.


(A beat.)


Free HBO.


(Another beat.)


CUSTOMER

You...lie.


SUPERVISOR

One year. Free HBO.


REP

Do people still like HBO?

There’s not that much--


SUPERVISOR

I will rip you in half like

a piece of cubicle paper.


CUSTOMER

Two...years.


SUPERVISOR

A year and a half and an

hour of Showtime. You can

watch that one good episode

of Billions.


(A beat.)


CUSTOMER

Deal.


SUPERVISOR

And we kept another one!


REP

Ma’am, before we let

you off the line, could you

pour some more water?

I’m a little anxious right now

and I could use--


(WATER POURING.)


Oh, thank you.


SUPERVISOR

It is nice, isn’t it?


(VIOLIN starts playing.)


REP

I’m never going to

leave this job.


(VIOLIN and WATER

POURING join together

to create an oddly beautiful

melody.)


End of Play


No comments:

Post a Comment