Wednesday, May 6, 2020

My Father's House

There used to be a place
I could see
From the dark

I didn’t have to
Walk towards it

It would come
To me

You could hear it
Before you could see it

Because the air
Would go soft
And your ears
Would pick up
The sound of respect

The respect of a place
Left alone
By the dangers
Around it

I would pull up
Or run up
And the side door
Was always unlocked
And it was left unlocked
For me

I’d come in
Lock it behind me
And go to sleep
In the room
Off the kitchen
Knowing
That whatever was chasing me
Wouldn’t know
To find me here

What did you do
To that room?

No, it was here

I remember it
Being here

I slept in it
All those nights
I’d be running
Through the field
Hearing the police
Calling out my name
Because they didn’t know
Whose kid I was

They didn’t know
Where I was going
To run to

So why’d you board up
The room?

Did you not want me
To come back?

Dad couldn’t have
Moved out
He was too old

He was too old
To go anywhere

So old
He’d sit upstairs
And call down to me
The next morning
And that’s how I’d wake up

Then I’d make breakfast
And bring it up to him
And he’d ask me
What kind of trouble I was in
And I’d tell him
And he’d slap me
Upside my head
Then have me
Bring him the phone
From downstairs
And he’d make the calls
And next thing you know
I could walk into town again
And nobody would say a thing

The night I slashed Mitch’s throat
Was the worst

Because they tried to stop me
From getting here

I saw them
They came into the clearing
And walked
Right up to the front door

I saw them
From the window
In the side bedroom
But wouldn’t you know
They didn’t knock

They didn’t dare
Knock

They might have wanted me
To come out
And turn myself over
But I wasn’t going to do that

Who was gonna
Take care of my Dad
If I went to jail?

I knew that
Dad knew that

So they left that night
And told Mitch’s girl
That a drifter killed him

Nobody ever said
It was me

But I went running anyway
Because I didn’t feel like
Never leaving this house again
And that’s how it was going to have to be
If I wanted to stay protected

I let time cool things off
And that wasn’t
That long ago
So how come
Now that I’m back here
You’re telling me
My father doesn’t live here anymore?

Don’t lie to me

I’m a reasonable man

But my daddy didn’t raise me
To listen

To lies

No comments:

Post a Comment