Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Reason to Believe

My father was the last man

At the funeral

Even the priest left first


He stood down by the water

Until we reached for him


Sisters and brothers

Are for comforting each other

And my father

He drove back alone


What’s life like

The night after a fight

When the fight’s burned out

For good


I drove by

Every church in town

And couldn’t find

A reason

To believe


My buddy had a kid

And my buddy’s kid was early

But the kid’s going

To do alright


Some get lucky

Some get screwed

Just depends on the night


Why didn’t my father

Walk into the water

And baptize himself again?


He was never so

Alone in his life

His wife in the ground

And his kids too old

To understand

The value of him


Pull back, pull back

Pull back from the shore


The priest can’t bless you

The way you need


My father still sits

On his white front porch

Thinking summer

Never goes on this long


He tells himself

He’ll only have two seasons left

But one season’s gotta end

Before he’ll find himself

With a reason

To believe


I find myself

Repeating the words

That my mother used to say

In her sick


She’d tell us all

How hard her life was

And how proud she was

To make it through


There she was

At the end of the line

Finally giving herself

The credit she was denied


Once she could be proud

She didn’t need

A reason

To believe


After the funeral

We took dad out

To his

Favorite place to eat


The waitress flirted with him

And my sister raged

But it put a smile

On his face


The night after the storm

Is always the warmest

No matter how bad

The storm

Left you


If you sit in a storm

After it’s gone

Your whole life’s

Gonna be

A storm


I hugged my sister

Just to get her to laugh

And my brother

Offered to order

For my dad

And my younger sister

Told us

She’s moving back

To town


Four dumb kids

And their old man

At a diner

Outside town


None of us

Are gonna die rich

And none of us

Are gonna live long


But we were given to each other

And we’re all starting

To look like

Our mother


Seems like a reason

To believe

No comments:

Post a Comment