Friday, January 9, 2015

Seven Ways to Let You Down


I can find out what you love
And mirror mirror it all
Back to you

That movie, this tv show
That album that changed your life

Then once you’re hooked
On our similarities
My identity will flip like—that

Saying I never really liked this
Or I’ve gotten tired of that
Or maybe I’ll just be honest and say
That I lied to get what I wanted

That I created the person I knew you desired
So I’d be too hard to turn down

That’s one way
To let you down

I can stay at work too late
Climbing towards another raise
Trying to prove I’m not too young
To get as far
As the guy ahead of me is

And while my eye’s on another prize
Time slips by and you’re wondering
If you’d rather just have me cheat with a guy
Instead of with presentations
And phone calls with China

That’s how I could let you down

I could sit next to you
Never saying a word
Watching mindless tv shows
And pretending not to notice
The alcohol on your breath

I could keep your problems yours
And my problems mine
And tell myself that only you can help yourself
Never asking if you had a bad day
Or letting my hand go across the couch
Just so it can go over yours

I could stay cold
And only warm up to the stuff
That’s outside of you

I could hang you out to dry
And that would let you down

I could stay out way too late
Sitting in parking lots
Talking to friends in other states
Trying to imagine another life for myself
Away from here, away from you
Fresh because I don’t know how to go back
How to fix what’s broken in this

I could talk to people thousands of miles away
And not say a word to you
And that would let you down

I could wait for you to bail
Clean out shit
And the booze in the fridge
Tell me you’ve had enough
Maybe break some stuff on the way out
Wait for me chase after you
And keep you waiting

That’s how I could let you down

I could dance with other boys
I could flirt and text and sext
And tell them all my problems
All the shit that you don’t know

I could philosophize my bullshit
So it almost seems like logic
Dress it up to look like sense
And pretend it’s not a mess

I could give myself to everybody
But the people who actually want me
Because all I think I need
Is something to prove
And someone to prove it to

And while I’m doing all that
I’m letting down you

I could let a life go by
And wait until it does
To bring up what we had
And what this is
And what you thought it was

I could hold my breath
And wait until you out
Because it feels like
That’s what I’m doing now

I’m doing a million things
And nothing
Except letting you down

No comments:

Post a Comment