Thursday, May 20, 2021

Drowned/Substitute for Love

You can take the right

If you want to


I’m in no hurry

To get home


My daughter’s with her father

This weekend

And I don’t have any plans


I was going to get

Some work done

But I’m not feeling

All that inspired

So I’ll probably

Just watch movies


What’s your favorite movie?


Oh, that’s a good one

I knew Mike

We were supposed to

Do something together

In ‘92 or ‘93

But we could never

Agree on a script


Do you care

If I smoke in here?


I quit when I was pregnant

But now that I’m done

Breastfeeding I’ve been sneaking them again

When the baby’s not around


Don’t you love

That I still call her the baby?


She’s really not

A baby anymore

But I’ll probably call her

The baby until she’s forty


My father still calls me

The baby

And it used to drive me crazy

But now I love it

So I wait for it

Every time we talk


He doesn’t seem

To do it as much anymore


Are you new?


The driver they usually send

Is so quiet

I much prefer you


And you’re a good driver


What’s your favorite

Place to drive to?


Can you take me there?


I don’t care

If it’s far away


Every minute of my day

Is planned


I can’t tell you

The last time I did something

Unplanned


You don’t have to tell me

Where you’re taking me

Just take me there


I can pay you extra

If that’s the problem
Or you can record me

Giving you consent

To essentially kidnap me


I’ve been kidnapped before

And it’s not as fun

As one might think


Somehow the boring times

Just snuck up on me

And it’s not because
I had a kid

If anything

The kid is keeping it

Interesting for me


But it was right before
I had the kid

Where I felt like

My life had moved into that stage

Where I was never

Going to be cool again


I could be creative

I could be acclaimed

I might even be taken

More seriously

Because that’s what age

Does for you

But I just had this sense that

You know, fourteen-year-olds

Were never going to give a shit about me

Only the weird ones

Who are into old people

And those kids are profoundly uncool


I was one of those kids


It would be cool

To drive across the country


Would you want to do that?


Drive me from here

To New York and back again

And on Monday

I’ll pick up my kid

And go back to being boring?


You could just drive, you know


It sounds nice, doesn’t it?


I think it sounds

So nice

No comments:

Post a Comment