Sunday, May 9, 2021

What Have You Got To Lose?

I’m sure you did

The math on this one, right?


Is that a...reasonable assumption?


So you know

What you have to lose

If anything


You see that house over there?


The one with the Christmas lights

Still up?


They never take ‘em down


I bet the neighbors talk

Because, you know,

You’d be surprised

Something like that

Christmas lights in May

And all year round


Stupid shit like that

Can drive down

Property values


Not now, because people

Are selling their fucking kidneys

To get a house

But back when things were normal

You had to watch out

For anything that would tell people

Your neighborhood was less than perfect


All you had to do

To be labeled

‘The Crazy Family’

Is leave out trash

That can’t be collected

Or have a beater

In the drive-way


Or Christmas lights


But what do they have

To lose?


That family with the lights?


They did the math


And so the neighbors


And so does some nosey stranger

Sitting in a van

On the street


You’re not nosey though


It’s probably

How you’ve lasted this long


That and you’re strong, aren’t you?


I heard you were strong


But strong doesn’t do you

Much good

If you’re not fearless


If you’re worried

About something

Outside of this van


You don’t look scared to me


But we haven’t really

Gotten into it yet, have we?


Just some chitchat

A few snacks

You fiddling with that gun

Like you’ve never used it before


I hope that’s not true, by the way


The last one they sent me

Had only done a few hours

Of target practice

Before they sent them to me

And that one did not last long

I can tell you that


But it’s possible

They didn’t have

Their eye on the prize


They must have had

Something to lose


Me?


I don’t have anything


I come here

I park

I look at the lights


And for me

It’s always Christmas

And that’s nice


Because I never had Christmas

Growing up


No lights

No presents

And whether it was nice out or not

We didn’t do anything

Or celebrate anything

And one day

I walked out the door

And I just kept walking


And if I have to walk up to someone

And do something

That makes me look fearless?


I can do that


Because there’s nothing

On the other side

I need to be afraid of


You just have to ask yourself--


What have you got

To lose?


And when you really think about it


I mean, when you

Really

Think about it


You’ll see you can leave

Those lights on

If you want to


You can leave ‘em on

All year

Long

No comments:

Post a Comment