Monday, May 3, 2021

Time to Lose

I know he’s outside

But you can’t

Call the police


Do you understand?


I won’t get there

In time to help you

But we planned for this

Didn’t we?


Yeah, we did


That’s why you know

Where I keep the guns

And that’s why

We did all that training


If he comes in the back door--


I don’t think

He’ll come in the back

Because he’d have to go up and down

The porch

And the neighbors could see him


Probably he’ll come in from the side

And that’s what we practiced

The most for, right?


You’re not scared

You think you’re scared

But you’re not

You’re only what you think you are

We talked about that, didn’t we?


The last time we thought he was there

I talked you through it

And we decided

That you really weren’t afraid

You just got yourself worked up

And it’s good that he wasn’t there that time

Because you wasted a lot of energy

And you would have been in big trouble

If that had been the real deal


But the one rule we made

Was you cannot call the police


And I knew you were going to want to

Because no matter how many times

I’ve told you it’s not an option

You go to school

And you watch movies

And they tell you

That the police are going to solve

All your problems

And you and me both know

That’s not true


If the police come to the house

They’re going to ask you about me

And your grandpa

And what we do for a living

And we can’t have that, can we?


Because even if they take care of

This bad guy

There are more bad guys coming

And the only way you stop ‘em

Is to handle the first guy

In a way that sends a message

To all the other guys

Thinking about starting trouble


If I were there

I could help you take care of it

But I’m glad you have to do this

On your own

Because one way or another

You gotta do everything on your own

In this life

And it’s better you do that

Sooner rather than later

You know what I mean?


The first time a man

Came to my house

When I was a kid

I didn’t know what to do


He got all the way upstairs

To my room

Before my brother heard him

And the next thing I know

There’s two shots fired

And that was that


But you don’t have a brother

And I’m sorry for that


I’m sorry for a lot of things

But mostly I’m sorry

That it all has to be this way

But there’s nothing

We can do about that now


That’s why I trained you

And I prepared you

And I told you

This day was going to come

The minute I saw

You could understand

How life was going to be

For people like us


Nobody comes to save you

Nobody rushes in

To tell you

Everything’s going to be

All right


If you want things

To be alright

You gotta make it that way

Yourself


So go get the gun

And wait by the side


If he comes in the back

You go to the plan we put in place

For that


And you don’t get afraid


Because that won’t

Do you any good


And you don’t have

Time for it anyway


What’s the one thing

I always taught you?


The one thing

You’ll never have

Is time

No comments:

Post a Comment