Thursday, December 12, 2019

Beast of Burden

Can’t beg somebody
To love you anymore

It’s not dignified

That’s what I find so sad

That all these people
Are walking around
With dignity
But no love

Sometimes it costs
A little begging

Nothing wrong with that

I’ve begged lots of people
To love me

Not just on my knees
But on my head
On my back
Any way that worked
Until they said--

‘Get up, you idiot, I love you too’

Then I was all set

One poor heart
I begged for years
Before they loved me back

There’s that day or two
When the begging’s over
And it’s nothing but love
And not just love
But new love
And that’s my favorite time

After that you fall back on
Trying to see
How it is
You’re supposed to love each other
And that’s not always easy
To get around to

I would lay in bed with someone
Feeling the love I had
But knowing it couldn’t get
To the love
The other person
Had for me

No matter how tight
I pulled them to me
And no matter how many nights
We slept side-by-side
The two things stayed two things
And they never found each other
In a way deeper
Than two people
With two lousy bodies could

I begged for everything
In my life

Never saw the point
In pretending you didn’t want something

And then
If you wanted it
Why act like you don’t want it
More than anything?

Why not put all your heart
Into getting it?

But the passion you call up
To win what it is
You’re trying to win--

Be it love
Or admiration
Or something

--When that passion dies out

There you are
Holding the prize
And you think…

I should beg this off

I should beg somebody
To take this love
Off my hands

When something is so
Despicable and undignified
To so many people
Something like begging
Then
When someone like you
Like me
When we get used to doing it
It makes not doing it
Seem like--

Well, why wouldn’t I?

Why wouldn’t I keep doing it?

Because I don’t have to anymore?

Because I got what I wanted?

What the hell does that have to do with it?

I’m not good at anything else

I’m not good at holding something
I’m just good at standing here
With my hands out
Begging somebody
To put somethin’ in ‘em
So I can feel the weight
Of something warm

Do you believe me
When I tell you all this?

It’s hard, I know

It’s hard to believe somebody

Like me

No comments:

Post a Comment