Sunday, December 29, 2019

Ten Hours Early

I left ten hours early
Because if I stayed
It was going to be about leaving
And I had already left
In my head, you know, I--

I left two days
Before I even got there

I had to
That was the only--

That was the only way
I was going to be able
To make it

The trip

I used to sob
Thinking about doing this
Making this trip
Coming to see you
Knowing
Knowing it could only ever be
A trip
A--

A vacation, or…

I don’t know what
I was thinking

But I knew
That there was this thing
This…

...Painful thing

That had to be done

Because sometimes
Curiosity is stronger
Than--than anything else

I had to know if coming here
Would mean I’d realize
That I needed to be here
That--that if I came
I’d want to stay

But I also knew
It was a--

That there was a chance
I’d come here
And I’d feel like--

Like it was a nice break
A nice break in time
But that I couldn’t stay
That I’d have to go back
To the days I recognize
In a place I recognize
A person that--

That I am comfortable being

I knew two days before I came
That I was going back

You didn’t--

You didn’t even know
What I was considering, did you?

I didn’t see the point
In telling you

I mean, I know that there’d be a point
But why get your hopes up
Or have you not have any hopes at all?

Why not just roll the dice
And see what numbers
Come up?

But the numbers
Our numbers
They didn’t shake out right

Five days became four
Since we’re not going to be eating
Breakfast together
Tomorrow morning

Ten years away from each other
Becomes ten years more
Becomes--

Who knows how long?

I like knowing
That I could hop back on a plane tomorrow
And be right back in that bed
Next to you
Feeling like I don’t need
To be anywhere else

How does somebody
Walk away
From something like that?

Sometimes you get so tangled up
In the knots of your own making
It feels like you should just
Figure out how to get comfortable
With them
Cutting off your air

That’s what I did

I got comfortable

I don’t know how to
Walk away from that

But you?

You I know
How to walk away from

I mean, let’s face it

As far as you and I are concerned
All I’ve ever done
Is leave ten hours early

And two days before
You even knew

I arrived

No comments:

Post a Comment