Sunday, December 29, 2019

Miriam Slater, Love Don't Cost a Thing

If you’ve been rich
It’s true that being poor
Might be more difficult


I was rich
Now I’m not
It’s not the end of the world
But the world has looked prettier
At least as far as I’m concerned


But my new husband?


He’s a gem


Not a real gem
That would be useful

A gem of a person
Which isn’t worth much
Unless you’re me
And could use a little warmth
A little bit of affection
From someone
You’re not employing


Did you know that these days
Marrying your employees
Is frowned upon?

I had no idea


Not until I lost all my money
And couldn’t afford to employ
Any potential husbands anyway


I know what you’re thinking


Miriam--how did you lose your money?


It’s the wildest story
Just bonkers, truly


A man comes to the door one day
And asks me how I feel
About portable submarines


I said ‘I adore the ocean’


And it’s true
I always have


Nobody loves the Indian Ocean
More than me


The Indian
The Atlantic
The Mediterranean
The Baltic
The Huron
The Michigan


I love ‘em all


So this man comes to the door
And he’s talking about these little submarines
That have wheels on them
Just like cars
And can go right into the ocean
And you can get them in blue or red
Or a nice purple
I asked him if they have purple
And he said ‘Sure’
So then I gave him all my money


Well, not all of it
But most of it
Most of all of it


Wound up penniless
And dollar-less
Which is even worse


Had to move into this tiny apartment
Using the petty cash
I kept hidden behind my wine wall


It’ll be enough to live on
Provided I die by next weekend


But since I’ve always lived
For the moment
I’m used to thinking in terms
Of the here and now


And my husband?

The love of my life?

His little apartment is right next to mine
I got so excited when we met
And I realized he was the one
That I knocked down the wall
Separating our apartments
And while he was screaming
About us not getting something called
‘A security deposit’ back
I made plans for a simple little wedding
Less than three hundred people
And only two entrees


He can afford to splurge a little
He is a polygraph machine technician
And lord knows they make a...living


So now I’m very happy
And I have to say
I deserve it


We can’t all die rich
But we can certainly die in love
And that’s just what I intend on doing


LIke they all say--


Seventh time is a charm


And this time it just has to work


You know, since I can’t exactly
Afford a divorce


Ah, love


Always better
When it’s all

You’ve got

No comments:

Post a Comment