Sunday, December 29, 2019

Sully the Cat Stays In

I’m staying in today

I thought about going out
But then I remembered
I’m an indoor cat

It’s for my own protection
There are birds outside
And if I were to be let out
I’d be pecked to death by them
Or one of the squirrels
Would force feed me acorns
Until I exploded

I’m aware of the existence
Of outdoor cats
But I’m also aware
Of nuclear fallout

Just because something
Is a possibility
Doesn’t mean
It needs to be explored

I have no exploratory instinct

Oh, don’t get me wrong
If you put a suitcase on the floor
I’m going to crawl inside it
And lurk within the darkness
Until someone tries to move the suitcase
And then I’ll jump out at them
Just so I can witness
A burst of uncontrollable fear
But that pretty much satisfies
My thirst for blood
And then I go back to laying
On my human’s laptop

I once saw a cat
Roaming the street

Big tail, long legs
Decent ears
Nothing to write home about
Provided you can write

If I were able to write
I’d write a cookbook
But there would only be one recipe
Because then nobody would feel any pressure

My human has all these cookbooks
And she doesn’t make anything
In any of them
But it’s probably because
There’s so much in them

If there were just one recipe
She could make that one thing
And feel a sense of accomplishment
And the thing would be tuna
And I would get some
And everybody would be happy
Until we’re reminded once again
That death is right around the corner
In the form of pecking birds
Of demonic squirrels

The cat I saw outside
Came right up to our patio window
And I put my paw up to the glass
So he could do the same
And we could share a moment
Of acknowledgment
That we’re similar and yet different
But instead he threw a dead mouse
Against the glass and walked away

Bitch

What is he trying to prove?

That he can kill a mouse
And I can’t?

Why would I want to kill a mouse?
A mouse never hurt me

Now if I could kill loneliness
That would be a different story

I would love to throw
A big pile of ennui
Right up against some patio glass
And call it a day

Cats are so smart
And so simple at the same time

Once the hunter part of us kicks in
It’s all we can do
Not to turn into silly little leopards
Who sink our teeth into voles
And groundhogs
And chipmunks
And whatever else seems kill-able to us

That’s what’s out there
And that’s why I’m in here

A place can be as big
As you want it to be

Why call it a living room
If you’re going to go
Living somewhere else?

I decided the other day
That the downstairs bathroom
Was as big as Canada
And wouldn’t you know it?

It felt like it

It felt like it was just as big

As I needed it to be

No comments:

Post a Comment