Sunday, December 29, 2019

The Broken Mold

So I made the perfect person
Just a truly
Altogether
Perfect human being

And then I thought
I heard someone say something
Like, I thought somebody was like--

Hey God

But I hadn’t really
Created anybody else yet
So it was weird
But I was like--

Oh maybe I created someone
And forgot about it

So I turned around
And when I did
I hit the mold
With the perfect human in it
And down it goes
To the--

Well, I had just made the ground
And so it hit the ground
And shattered

Oh, I was so upset
You can’t imagine

Do you have any idea
How hard it is
To make the perfect mold

I’m not talking about the human
That comes out of the mold
I’m talking about the mold itself

Once you have that
Making perfect people
Is a cinch

Then I remembered
That I had made one person
Before the mold broke
And she was just sitting there
On the counter
And I thought--

Okay, now what do I do?

I could use the perfect person
To make another mold
But you know
It’s a chicken and an egg thing
Or rather--

It’s not a chicken and an egg thing

You have to make the mold first
You can’t do it in reverse
You can’t reverse engineer
The perfect mold

Even I can’t do that
And I can make a rock so heavy
That even I can’t move it

So there I am
With the perfect person
And a broken mold
That I broke
After I made the perfect person
And even since then
I’ve been working
At making another perfect mold
But, in the interest of full disclosure,
I kind of got bored with the whole thing
And decided that people didn’t need
To be perfect
To be interesting

In fact, they’re more interesting
If they’re not perfect

So once I’d made Julia Child
I pretty much just said--

That’s fine
That’ll do
We’re good

I mean, do we need millions
Of little Julia Child’s running around
Making delicious food
And gutting poultry?

One is fine

Of course at that point
I didn’t have a sense of time
And mortality

So as far as I knew
Julia Child would live forever
And would likely become
A god on earth

One to replace me
And, you know,
I was fine with that

But then she died
Which didn’t diminish
Her perfect nature
Not one bi

It just meant that I had to
Go back to thinking about
Making another mold

I still haven’t gotten around to it
But once I do
It’s possible humanity
Will make its own Julia Child

Granted, it’ll be pretty hard
Without a mold
But they’ve done some
Impressive stuff, so-

You know

It could happen

No comments:

Post a Comment