Sunday, December 29, 2019

Two Pictures

I showed him two pictures
And I couldn’t remember
Which picture
Makes him
The good guy

I’m supposed to know
Which pictures
Mean which
But sometimes
I forget to check
Before I go in the room

I forget to check
The answers

The answers
Aren’t like answers
To math
They’re telling
They tell us things

And it’s very important
You know
What they’re telling you
Before the people looking at them
Tell you anything
Because you might need to know
Like, right in that moment
What each picture means
So that
When they point at one
And say--

That’s a balloon

Or--

That’s a koala bear

You might need to know
That seeing a balloon
Means they’re prone
To quick outbursts
Of violence

And a koala bear means nothing
So don’t worry about it

But you can’t say--

Oh hang on
Let me go in the back room
And check to see
If what you just said
Means it’s cool
Or not cool
For me to be alone
In a room with you, sir or ma’am

No, you have to know
In the moment

So when I was sitting there
In that room
Holding those two photos
And I couldn’t remember
What meant what
I felt a bead of sweat
At my temple
Ready to drop

But you see
The minute the sweat drops
It doesn’t matter
What the person sees
In the photo
It only matters
That you’re afraid
And your fear
Is just going to breed
More fear

Fear manifests itself
In all kinds of ways
But the main way
Is in the quick strike

The hand up
And sharp

The identification
Of something
That can be used
As a weapon

And the use
Of that weapon
To protect one’s self

Move first, ask second
Forgiveness comes last

I showed him a photo
And he picked the one
On the left
And said it looked like
An ice cream cone

I didn’t know what that meant
And because I didn’t know
And I couldn’t be sure
I took the pen in my hand
And I jammed it
Into his eye
As deep as it would go
Until I was sure
He was dead

I couldn’t take any chances

Maybe reading him
Would have been enough
But, you know
I’m not very good
At reading people

It’s just never been something
I’m particularly

Good at

No comments:

Post a Comment