Saturday, December 28, 2019

Just Because You Like It, Doesn’t Mean You Vote For It

I’ve liked lots of things
Over the years
That I didn’t feel comfortable
Voting for

I’m a representative
See, that’s what everybody--

That’s what everybody
Forgets

I’m here to represent
Not just people
But a principle

An idea

The idea that my own personal--

And if you talk to some people
They tell you
That they think
My job
Should be to use discretion

Which is
Which is partly true

But ultimately
If where I land
Is far from
Where the people
Who sent me here
Would like me to be
I have to bridge that gap somehow

I can’t just go running off
And say--

Well, you folks don’t know
What the best thing is

Because that would be me
Playing
Playing god
Essentially

For the most part

Because how do I know
What’s good or bad?

How does anybody?

That’s why we vote
That’s why people vote
To send somebody like me
To where I need to go
To make their voices heard

And before I go
They make it very clear to me
What they like
And what they don’t like
And what their brand
Of morality is

They tell me
What’s right and wrong

The majority of them anyway

They make that decision
And if history proves them wrong
Then I take the heat for that
But we also agree
Hopefully
That times have their own
Ways of thinking about things

Different folks
Different times
Different votes

You want to hold something
Against your great-great grandfather
You go right on ahead
I’m sure he doesn’t give a fuck
But if it makes you feel better
Then you do what you like

But if you really want a say
You’ve got one

You’ve got your vote
That you can cast
However you want to

And if things don’t shake out
The way you want
Because you didn’t go along
With the majority
Well then
You can take comfort
In knowing
That maybe you were on
The right side of the future

That maybe one day
People will speak your name
With the high praise
Reserved for liberators
And rebels

Somewhere
Forward in time
You’ll be a real hero

As far as how much comfort
That should bring you, well--

Probably not much

But nobody said
The fruits of democracy
Were plentiful

Just that everybody

Would get a taste

No comments:

Post a Comment