Saturday, December 21, 2019

She Wears It Like She Owns It

The earrings went in her pocket
Plain and simple

Sometimes the most blatant theft
Is the easiest one
To pull off

Nobody watching her
Would think anybody
Could be that bold

People still don’t recognize shamelessness
Even in this day and age

The coat was harder
Obviously
But she needed a coat
It was getting colder out
And the thin ones don’t cut it

She gets cold
The way her mother used to get cold
Down to the bone
And she’d practically have to wear a deer
Around her top half
To keep the chill out

You don’t want to get sick
When you don’t know
If you’re going to be sleeping in a car
For the night
Then you’re really in trouble

The coat’s gotta be big enough
To double as a blanket
Because you can only turn the heat on
And blast it
For an hour or so
Before you risk running out of gas
And who knows when there’ll be money
For that again

She swiped the coat
From a discount rack
Near the front of the store
And squeezed through the gap
Between the sliding glass
And the security detectors

Then she had to run for it
No point in pretending otherwise
But lucky for her
The alarm didn’t go off
And the place was so busy
Even if somebody saw her
They might not have bothered
Chasing her down
For a coat that was already
Marked to half price

The shoes were a gift
From a man
She was seeing
Who thought she’d like them

He took off about a month later
And she has no idea where he went
But she’s grateful for the shoes

Hang on, she wants to speak with you
Herself--

I got the ring from a yard sale
And I paid for it
Just not as much as I think it’s worth

My plan was to turn around
And re-sell it
But I ended up keeping it
Because it made me feel nice
And I noticed that when other people
Look at it
They just--

They treat me differently

The dress I balled up
And threw in a purse
And then I shoved both of them
In a bigger purse
And I snuck into the employee restroom
And waited in there
Until the store closed

I knew security only checked
The employee bathroom on the first floor
And not the second
Because I’d been surveillancing the place
For a week

It was also glaring how lax
The overall security apparatus was there
So I knew that once the place was closed
The only trick would be getting out
Without setting off any alarms
And the door at the back
Has one of those turn alarms
That you can switch off
With the right kind of key
So I just went out that way
And, you know, I could have been greedy
And grabbed a lot more
Than a purse and a dress
And you’re probably saying--

Why did you even have to hide
What you were taking
If you were going to slip out
In the middle of the night anyway?

But you can’t just go walking out of a store
With stolen merchandise

Doesn’t matter
Who might see you or not

You can’t walk the right way
If what you took
Is just something you’re carrying

You gotta wear it
Like you own it

That’s the only way

It works

No comments:

Post a Comment