Friday, July 3, 2020

Door #2

I can’t help that

Given the chance

I would want

To see what’s behind

Door #2


That’s built into

The human condition


I have my person

I love my person

My person is great


But we have been taught

As a society

That love and sex

Are the same

And that they are linked in a way

That cannot be separated

And while some of us have evolved

Some of us have just said--


You know what?


I can handle love

And I can handle sex

And I can handle

Keeping the two of them

Far, far apart


The thing about sex

Is that it’s like being on

A 1950’s game show


I know the toaster oven is cute

I could use it

I could use a nice toaster oven

But you’ve got me looking

At Door #2

Asking if I want something

Just because it’s not

The thing

I can have


And people go for it


Time and again

They go for it

And then you have other people going--


Why aren’t they just happy

With the toaster oven?


Because, Ma’am

We have all seen the episode

Of the game show

Where the person

Kept the toaster oven

And behind Door #2

Was the car


Now, if they really wanted us

As people

To be happy

With what they have

They would have ALWAYS
Put a can of mayonnaise

Behind that door


But they didn’t


They put fun stuff

And they made people feel bad

About their toaster oven


Now, the toaster oven

Wasn’t any less effective

At making toast

Just because it wasn’t a car

But it just wasn’t anything more

Than a toaster oven


I remember one woman

Asking if she could see

What was behind the door

Before she chose

Like, as a joke


And everybody laughed

But then she goes--


Well it might be something

That you all think is better

Than the toaster oven

But I already have a car


And I thought that was so smart

Because she was just curious

And she might have chosen

Door #2 out of curiosity

Not because she wanted

To lose the toaster oven


So, you see, it’s not even

That all of us out here

Are looking to screw up

Our lives


Some of us are just curious!


I’m curious


I want to know

What my options are

And we have this way of living

That we’ve created

Where we want you

To put all your eggs

In one basket

And be happy

With that sad little basket


Why?


That’s why I’m always saying--


I’m going to pass

On whatever you offer me

For whatever might be

On the other side

Of that door


Not because

I always think

It’s going to be better


I know that

Most of the time

It’s going to be worse


But we’re all fighting

Not just to know

What our choices are

But to have a choice

Even when we don’t


Sometimes the best you can do

Is knowing

What you could have had


Sometimes

Choosing to lose

Is fine

Because at least

It’s still

A choice

No comments:

Post a Comment