Wednesday, July 29, 2020

I Think I Smell A Rat

There’s three of you

Kneeling in front of me


I know one of you

Is lying


I know one of you

Knows

Which one

Is lying


And the third one

Is just

Some poor schmuck

Who’s about

To be

In the wrong place

At the wrong time


I got a knife

I got a nice knife

Sharp

Kept up

Not like how

Most people

Treat their knives

These days


My father taught me

How to treat a knife


My father taught me
About a lot of things


How to do those things

And not feel bad about it


Because food costs

And clothes cost

And the things you want in life

Cost


And the cost meets

The price

And the price

Is always

High


Three kneeling in front

One a liar

One knows who the liar is

And the schmuck


Now I’ll tell you

What I know


I know

That the schmuck

Gets the knife


How do I know that?


Because that’s how life is


The liar survives

The guy who supports

The liar

Survives

Because he supports

The liar

But he pays up eventually


And the schmuck

In the wrong place

At the wrong time

Gets his throat cut


Does the devil ever come

For the liar?

He might


He comes for us all

Doesn’t he?


But the liar plays keep away

And it’s possible

That today

The liar is going to stand up

And walk out of here

A little shaken up

But with his neck

Still intact


I guess I could slice up

All three of you

And secure my chances

Of getting

What I came here for


But I don’t like waste

And to tell you the truth

I have a bit of respect

For the liar


It’s an honest profession

Being a liar

Because you spend your life

Knowing that nothing is shit

And nobody means nothing

And if you worry too much

About how you get out of jams

Like this one

And who gets cut

As a result

Then one day

You’re the schmuck


I’m going to ask one of you

If you’re the liar

And you can say

Whatever you want

Because ultimately

It doesn’t matter


Like I said

Nothing matters


But not everybody

Gets

To stand

No comments:

Post a Comment