Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The Union Forever

You’ll never find my sled

I hid it on the roof


They’ll think you took a risk

But you took the arsenic

Before you checked

Out the proof


I had a roger that

On my head

Bullseye

Ready to go


Bought the farm
Bought the breaks

Bought the name

Of my favorite game, I--


I got you tested

And, you?

Boy, you failed


This won’t be forever

This can’t be true love

This is just my favorite sled

And your name is Rosebud


I got my pact

Got my promises

My empty bag

My happenstance


You just think it’s poetry

Because

It sounds so much like me


But what do you love

Enough to give up?

What do you love

Enough to fake up

About the break-up

About what you said

When I was half-dead

In your sister’s bathroom?


This is not the vow I took

This is not the neck I choke

I--like to pray

But--not every day


I got my fence

All painted

And Huck ain’t even here


You keep on

Quoting movies

And there’s nobody there


The bat can’t fly

And the bird can’t sing

I got bracelets on wrists

And everything


The union is divided

The union doesn’t work

I found you in bed

With some undergrad jerk


Back in Alabama

That would never have flown

But you get fucked up

Ten years

Before you get grown


I managed--


Two times

To survive

Your affection


And you

Left me

With nothing

But projection


I’m a--


Sad sap

But my projector

Won’t cut it


And when the

Record player stops

You won’t remember

To shut it


Barbecue times

And kindergarten rhymes

And scratched out dimes

And and and and and--


The union is snow

And the union’s black and white

I won’t repeat the lines

But I know

They’re not right


And when you

Leave the movie going

All through the night

I’ll leave you Orson Welles

If he makes you

Feel alright


You’re not a sled

And I’m not a man

You’ll never be Rosebud

You’ll never be Rosebud

You’ll never be Rosebud


The secret is

There isn’t one

The union isn’t dead

It was never even here

Just a busted up headboard

On a queen-sized

Bed

No comments:

Post a Comment