Tuesday, December 15, 2020

It’s Not That I Found You, It’s That I Remember You

I don’t remember

How we met

And I think

That’s the important

Because I don’t think

It should be a line

Or a point in time

Wherein I have this clear idea

Of what life was like

Before and then after


I don’t think

There should be

A before and after

Because instead

I have memories of you

From times

You weren’t there


I have pictures of you

Standing by me

Throughout everything

All of the--

All of the times

When I needed you

And you were there

Before you got there


It’s not that I found you

It’s that I remembered you


You were introduced to me

And I thought ‘Oh yes’

And you told me later

That you thought ‘Oh yes’

And we just picked things up

From there


And I’m not talking about

Reincarnation

Although if you believe in that

Then that’s--


If you believe that

I understand

It just doesn’t feel

That way to me


It doesn’t feel like

Something began and ended

It felt like something

Always was

And always will be


And I like thinking of it that way

Because I know

That one day

You’re going to leave

Or I’m going to leave

And none of us are forever

But if I believe this to be--


If I believe love to be

Misconstrued

The same way
That time is misconstrued

Then that means

It’s not a line

It’s a circle

And the circle has no place

Where you can see an ending


So we’ve been on this circle
You and I

And we move away from each other

But because it’s a circle

If we move far enough apart

We wind up back together again


And when we do

I say ‘Oh yes’

And you say ‘Oh yes’

And we remember each other

And then we keep going


Every time

I go to say ‘I love you’

I think--


‘I remember you’


That’s what it feels like

And it feels--


And it feels like

When you’re searching for a word

And the relief that comes

From finally getting it

From finally remembering

What the word is

Or who somebody is

Or where you know them from


I know you because I know you

Because I’ve always known you

And I’ll never not know you


There’s nothing to find

You’ve never been lost

We’ve never been

Lost to each other


I remember on our second date

That could have been our millionth date

You put your hand

Up against my hand

And they fit together perfectly


You laughed

And I laughed

And dinner arrive

And we ate

And you told me a joke

And I laughed

And we talked

And I remembered


And I thought--


Oh yes

How could I ever

Forget?

No comments:

Post a Comment