Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Tonight's the Night

You drove all the way here

I just--


I know, you took the bus

I mean, in general

You--you went out of your way

To get here

That’s all I was saying


We can go out if you want

I just don’t really know

What there is to do

Because I haven’t lived here that long

And it’s kind of--


Milwaukee’s not far

But that’s the nearest--


I think we put too much pressure

On ourselves

To make this something special


I think--


I know, for me,

And I don’t know if you did this too

Maybe you didn’t

But I know

For me

I really wanted

To set the expectations

As low as possible


Because even though
I really like you

And you really like me

You know

Meeting each other

The way we did

At that conference--


I mean, not everything

Is going to be like

A resort in Mexico, right?


This is--


This is the real deal

And I told you that

I told you

That if you came here tonight

It wasn’t going to be all--


I mean, I said I could book us

A table in town

At a restaurant

But I said--


You know, this place can be

Pretty depressing

Especially at this time of year

And I was worried about you coming now

Because at least in the summer

I could’ve taken you

To the lake

Or to the park they have in town

But right now

It’s just, you know, dark

And maybe--I don’t know


Maybe you would’ve been--


Maybe I should have come

To where you are


No, no, I know about your ex

And how weird that is

I know about that

But it’s weird here for me

Because I’m, like, self-conscious

That I’m living this way

In this really sad little apartment

And you have to see it, you know?


I mean, I had to pick you up

At the bus depot

In my shitty little car

And drive you back here

Hoping it wouldn’t break down

The whole time


And then we get in here

And I can feel right away

That, like, you think

This is a mistake


I can feel it that, like,

In the car

You were so excited

And the minute you walked in here

And saw all this--


These colors are so muted

And I didn’t have time to--


I mean, I’d lose my security deposit

If I tried painting the walls or anything, but--


Uh, yeah

I have music

I can--


Gimme a sec


How’s that?


Yeah, okay

I’m just nervous


I know it’s weird

For me to be nervous

Because in Mexico

We were, like, inseparable

But just being here now is like--


I just didn’t want

To mess this up, so--


You want to just dance

Right here

In my apartment?


Yeah, that’s cool


I like that, yeah


I really like

That idea

No comments:

Post a Comment