Saturday, December 19, 2020

Mother Teresa Doesn't Want to See a Dessert Menu

Oh no, no dear

I couldn’t

I could look

At the dessert menu

It would be too desirous of me

I cannot think of doing

Such a thing


But you know…


Is there cake on it?


Do you have any cake?


Ohhhh well


I have a hard time

Saying no to cake

As it is

Our Lord’s favorite dessert


But no frosting

Nothing fancy

For how can I eat

When so much of the world

Is hungry


Do you ever

Put cookies

Around the cake

Just sprinkle them up

All crumbled like?


That sounds delightful

But if you don’t do that

You don’t have to

I don’t even need dessert

I don’t want it

How can I

A person with so much

Want

When so many

Are denied?


Brownies


Do you have brownies?

Or a brownie sundae?

I haven’t had one of those

In years and years


I’m not asking for it

For myself, mind you

I’m just inquiring

Because my mind,

It is a curious one


I beg the Lord

To quell my inquisitive heart

And still i wonder

I wonder about…


Brownies


And other things

But in this moment

Brownies


Do you have brownies?

Do you ice cream?

Do you have lightly toasted walnuts?


What if you put

All of those

In a bowl for me

And brought it to me

And I will look at it

And pray over it

And hope that the Lord

Sends me a sign

Telling me

It is all right

To consume

This gift you bring me

That I assume is on the house

Because the service has only been

So-so up to now?


And some chopped up cherries?


Do you have those too?

And the cookies?


If you bring me a slice of cake

I shall pray to see

If I may eat that as well

For am I not cruel

In allowing food

To sit back in your kitchen

Perhaps going to waste

When so many have no food at all?


Oh, if I could bring the starving

And destitute

All the ice cream

In your freezers

I surely would

But I am only one woman

And I have but two hands

And ice cream melts so fast


Plus, beggars don’t like brownies

Everybody knows that


You are a godsend, my son

Even if you are slow

To check on me

And you forgot

That I wanted the side salad

And not the soup


God will forgive you

For all that

Do not fret


Just bring me the full dessert menu

And I shall see

What I am called

To experience


Though I had wanted

To resist

At this point

It’s out of my hands


When the Lord wants you

To order dessert

Who are you

To ask why?

No comments:

Post a Comment