Friday, February 5, 2021

My Feet Won't Get Warm

My feet won’t get warm

Until they’re too hot


The blanket goes over

And soon

Smoke is pouring out

From underneath the covers


I reneg on the comfort

Of the comforter

And cast it aside

Only to find

A chill invade my body

Through all ten of my toes


Nothing gets me

To the in-between

Temperature

That would allow me

To not focus

On my feet


I look up feet

And circulation

And it seems

I’m just put together wrong


Everyone has some part of them
Usually their hands

That regulate temperature

But I haven’t been regulated

In years


Instead, it’s a life of extremes

And the warmth or lack of it

For my body

Is no exception


I try socks

And my feet mock me


They freeze themselves

Within the socks

Rebuking the sensation

Of the wool


Another pair of socks

And they’re wailing

Begging for water

Ripping every ounce of hydration

From my body

To send it sweating

Out my arches


I pull a pioneer trick

Grab a pot

Fill it with boiling water

From the kitchen sink

And stick my feet in it

While I watch the latest episode

Of Crazy Cakes


Instantly the water goes cold

My icy feet have drained the boil

From the pot

And I even hear

The hiss as it dissolves


I don’t move

Unsure of what’s just happened


While my chilly appendages

Have always held sway over me

I never thought

They had the power

To transcend actual science


Then, I hear a bubbling

And notice the water

Has started to pop

And percolate once more


Soon, the water is boiling once more

Against all reason

And I yank my feet

From the pot

Nearly tipping it over

Onto my carpet

With my abrupt motion


I notice that where my feet

Have come down

There are now iced footprints


Is it possible

My feet are now

Both hot and cold

At the same time?


I realize

I hadn’t felt

Anything from that part of my body

As my feet

Had begun

To defy the laws

Of nature


I took stock

Of them


Not hot

Not cold


It seemed

That at any given moment

They could either

Scald a surface

Or refrigerate it


Should I have been

Concerned

About this sudden
Change of events?


How could I be?


For the first time,

I felt fine


And despite

Evidence to the contrary

I felt like

I could relax


And let my feet

Figure out

The rest

No comments:

Post a Comment