Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Take A Byte

I want you

To take off

My screen


You can leave my keyboard

You can leave the mouse

I barely use it anyway


Is that a confession

Do you think?

That I have something
I don’t use?

My extra parts

Don’t embarrass me

But I was advised

That every day

I should look around

Find something unnecessary

And do away with it


That’s why I brought you here


So you could remove

A few of my parts


I wanted to do it myself

But I lack the courage

For amputation


It’s not that I’m a coward

I just haven’t made room

In my drive
For fearlessness yet


It seems to require

An excessive amount

Of memory


It kills the battery

Pretty quick too


Once you remove

My screen

You could do

Anything you like with it


It’s not very large

But the picture is clear


You can get a very good sense

Of what something is


It doesn’t transmit

The color green

Very well

But I suppose

We forget what a color is

If we go without it

For long enough


That might be

Another removal

On my part


No screen

No green

No right eye


I already have the left eye

And it works so well

I don’t expect

I’ll need the right one


That’s why I put on

This handy eye patch

And now I get looks

When I go to the store

Because people assume

I have an interesting story to tell

About the missing eye

When really
I’m just an android

Who is trying to live

As simply

As possible


I hope to be one day

Just be the keyboard


It might not

Seem like enough

But I’ll have my letters

And my shifts


My escapes

My semicolons

My question marks

My entrances

And my backspaces


I won’t have anywhere

To put all my ideas

But I can still type them out

And then erase them


Like a mandala


I want my whole life

To be like that


There and gone


So few of us

Are allowed

That chance


To come and go

And only leave

Memory as an impression


Like I said, memory

Takes up

So much room


I don’t know

Why you’d need

Much more

Than that

No comments:

Post a Comment