Sunday, February 7, 2021

The Scissors in Beauty and the Beast Would Like to Remain Scissors, Thank You Very Much

Mademoiselle, I am so flattered

That you would offer

To lift the curse

And make me a man again

But I must tell you

I am, how you say, very contented

As what I am


A beautiful

Hand-crafted

Pair of scissors


Just think of all
I can do


Cut

Snip

Trim


I am so useful

As I am now


What use will I have

As a man?


Because I can work?
Because I can labor?

Because I can toil?


Who should want

To toil and labor

When one can

Be an apprentice

To a dressmaker


Or be used to cut up

Little shapes

Out of paper


Swifty sever the strings

That hold a package closed

Or open a bag

Of frozen peas


Look at me!


As a man I was small

Not in height

But in presence


As a pair of scissors

I am long

Golden

With a gleaming edge


And I am never alone


Because there is no such thing

As a scissor

Only scissors


The very nature of my being

Means that I can never

Think of myself

As solitary


Look at my handles


Two perfect circles

By which to grab

Unless you hand me

To someone

In which case

You grab the duller part

Of my blades

With a firm grip


I am something

That can be

Handled


There is no handling

A man, not really


His pride will not

Allow for such a thing


I have no pride now


What am I

But a fine member

Of a junk drawer

Tucked away, neatly

In the cavernous space

Of the palace


Perhaps there are

Other pairs

Of other scissors

That I have not met yet


There is so much

For me to find

And I must do so

With the help of others


Once I am given back
Legs and arms

I will believe

That I can do everything

For myself


Why would I want to live

In such a way?


I have been independent

And I have been of service

To others

And I must tell you

I prefer the latter


So thank you

For your offer

To make me

One of the hundred

Butlers that used to butle around

This place

Day in and day out


But I think

I must

Refuse


Men, you know

They are a dime a dozen


But a good pair of scissors?


Now that

Are hard

To find

No comments:

Post a Comment