Sunday, March 14, 2021

Some Rain For This Time of Year

I had to go back

To where the old house was

To do it


There just wasn’t any way

I was going to, uh

Rediscover myself

Without backtracking

A little bit


It was a nice day out

Some rain

But that’s how it is

This time of year


There’s so much

Different there now


The convenience store

Has new owners


You know how

I used to let you

Walk down there

And get me milk

Or something else I needed

Just so you could feel

Some independence?


I’m not sure

I would do that now


The area is still plenty safe

I just feel like

We all have a lot more fear now


I really hope

You didn’t grow up

Feeling afraid


I guess if you did

You wouldn’t have felt

Sure enough of yourself

To move to the city


I don’t know how you do it

I really don’t


Your grandma used to take me there

To go see the tree all lit up at Christmas

And I used to hold onto her hand so hard

I’d cut off the circulation in it


I thought if I let go…


I just know I felt

So small

And that city felt

So big

And I thought--


How easy to get lost

In a place like that


And then I got lost here instead


Or, uh, I guess--


I lost myself


And I was hoping that, you know

After you moved out

And I got the condo

And I stopped dating Trevor

That, uh, things would just...improve


Change enough

And you’re a brand new person, right?


Just replace one piece

After another

And before you know it

You’re unrecognizable


I even got my eyes done

Even though I told you

I was just using

That new serum, which--


Well, I’m sure

You already knew that


By the time I was your age

I saw all my friends

Moving to LA

Moving to DC

Moving--just anywhere

Anywhere out of here


But by then

Your grandma was sick

And somebody had to

Keep an eye on her

And then, uh, I met you Dad

And he was…


He was nice


I’ve met some really
Nice people

So, you know,

I hate to complain, but--


I went back to the old house

And I had a talk with myself

And now that I’ve been, uh, back

I think I’m ready to move, you know,

Uh, forward?


I think I want to look at

Some apartments

In the city


What do you think about that?


I’d love your help

If you don’t think

It’s too weird

Helping your mom

Move to a new place

And, uh, start over


Plus, we can be close again

You know?


I’d love to be

Closer

No comments:

Post a Comment