Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Chickens Discuss Crossing the Road

"Are you ready?"
"Um..."
"What?"
"Are we sure we want to do this?"
"Do what?  Cross the road?"
"Yeah."
"Why wouldn't we?"
"Well, I guess I'm wondering why."
"Why what?"
"Why are we crossing the road?"
"Well...why not?"
"Is there somewhere on the other side of the road you want to go?"
"No, I just think when you're on one side of the road, you should cross to the other side."
"Is that, like, a religious belief or something?"
"No, not--"
"Philosophical?"
"No."
"Moral?"
"I--why can't we just cross the road?!?!?"
"Why don't you just cross the road by yourself?"
"I have."
"Okay."
"And this time--"
"Yes?"
"I'd like to cross it with someone.  I'd like two chickens to cross the road."
"As opposed to one?"
"Exactly."
"Is it because you think it'll be--"
"Oh here we go."
"--Funnier?"
"I knew you were going to go there."
"If two chickens cross the road, I mean, do you think it'll be--?"
"You know, I don't think about that.  I realize you do, but I don't.  I just cross the road, okay?  It's something I do.  I lay eggs.  I cluck.  I cross the road."
"And what happens when you do?"
"I find I'm happier."
"But what is this really about?  Who are you trying to please?"
"Ugh, this whole conversation is such a joke."
"Just tell me why you want to cross the road."
"BECAUSE I WANT TO GET TO THE OTHER SIDE!"

. . . . .

"That's it?"
"Yes!"
"You just want to get to the other side."
"Yes."
"Oh."
"Were you not expecting that?"
"I thought somehow it would be more complicated."
"Well, I'm sorry.  I'm sorry I'm not more complicated."
"No, it's okay.  I'm...I'm glad you're not.  I'm glad it's that...simple."
"Are you?  Really?"
"Yeah.  It's refreshing."
"Oh."
"What?"
"It's just...sometimes I feel like..."
"Like what?"
"Like I'm a cliche."
"No!"
"Yes."
"No, you're not!"
"I just feel--"
"You're not."
"Really?"
"Yeah."
"That's why I wanted you to cross with me.  I felt like, with you, I'd be...less simple.  More...like...like I'd be different.  Like it'd be--"
"Different."
"Yeah."
"Oh, well, okay.  Let's do that then."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah!"
"Thank you."
"Hey, it's--that's what friends are for, right?"
"Yeah."
"Let's do this."
"Great."
"You know you..."
"What?"
"Well--haha--nothing.  You just--"
"What?"
"You make me laugh."
"Oh.  Yeah?"
"Yeah.  That's what I like about you.  You make me laugh."

No comments:

Post a Comment