Monday, October 10, 2011

Drink Me In

I'll have a drink with you, Matt

Since that seems to be the only way
You'll listen to me

Don't tell me not to
Why not?

Why should only one of us
Be stable?

That doesn't make much sense
Does it?

You know

I bet you like looking like this
Like the one with the demons
The burdens
The baggage

I bet you like it
Because you know
Deep down
That all that
Really isn't yours, is it?

It's mine

I carry it

I carry it while you stumble around drunk
Like a little boy
Who doesn't want to go to bed

Well, no more

You know, I've been drunk
And I've been sober
And I'll give you this, Matt
Drunk is more fun

At least it is
When it's two o'clock in the fucking morning
And your husband won't sleep
Because someone cut him off in traffic
And his response
His, should I say logical?
Why don't I say logical?

Logical--response

Is to come home
And drink a couple hundred glasses
Of whatever he can get his hands on

In that situation
In that moment
When you're laying on the kitchen floor
Trying to lick the linoleum off
Crying about your fucking goldfish
That died sixteen fucking years ago
Begging me to kill you

In that moment
I want to drink
More than I ever have
In my entire
Fucking
Life

Isn't that funny?

You got me drinking
Then we both quit drinking
Then you quit quitting
And now I want to drink again
Because of you

Take a look at me, Matt

Drink me in

Because I'm leaving

I'm staying and I'm leaving

Any bit of me that ever had a shot at being anything
Is going, going gone

And the part that's staying?

Well, I think you remember her, don't you?

So take a good look

Then pour me a fucking drink

And let's see if we can make
This marriage
Work

No comments:

Post a Comment