Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Dysentery Was Worse Than the Cholera

Well, I'll tell you something, Marie
The dysentery was worse than the cholera
You wouldn't believe it
But it's the god's honest--

Oh, well, with dysentery--

Oh, Marie, you don't want to hear about all that
Not while we're eating

I don't like to complain anyway
Not when all the people there
Have it so much worse

I mean George and I were there for--what?

Two weeks?  Two and a half?
More than most people
Obviously
Some people would never even consider going

Most of our friends thought we were nuts

Skipping a second honeymoon
To go to a Third World country
And be of service

But I told everyone my first honeymoon was for me
The second one should be for somebody else

We sent postcards back to everyone we knew
You got one, didn't you?
Of me holding the starving baby?

Wasn't that devastating, Marie?
I mean, it breaks your heart, doesn't it?
These people are just icons of suffering
It really tears at you
It does

George was really impacted by the whole thing
If it was up to him
We'd still be there
Building villages, coming up with irrigation plans
But I said, 'George, we've done what we can do'

Because sometimes, that's what you have to tell yourself
'I've done what I can.  I've done all I can do.'
And again, more than most
Much more than most

Some people go their whole lives
Never even thinking about helping others
So the fact that we went out of our way like that
To help those poor people
Well, it fills my heart
It really does

And it helps you appreciate all you have

That's why I sent out that e-mail
With all the details of our trip
Minus the dysentery and the cholera, of course
Because I want more people doing what we did
And I'm sure if they heard about that, they wouldn't go
They'd use that as an excuse
When, really, it was a very fluke-y thing

I just thought it was important
For everybody to know
That George and I were doing something good
With our time and money

You know, some people say you should do those things quietly
Do them in secret
You know, because that's what makes you a--

What?

A Good Samaritan, or something?

I don't know the term

Anyway, they say to do it discretely

But you know, I don't know how you're supposed to inspire people
To follow suit
If you don't show them

You have to show them, Marie
Otherwise how will they know
Who it is they should be emulating?

That's what George and I believe, anyway

What's that?

Going back?

Oh Marie, I mean
Well, obviously
Not anytime soon

At least I won't be
George--

Well, you know, he's a matyr
He's just such a matyr

Of course he was affected by the suffering
He'd never seen suffering before
I've seen it, Marie
I've EXPERIENCED it

Comparatively, of cousre
I mean, in comparison

Everything's relative, you know

No, I think I've done my part, Marie

And I feel good about that

I really do

No comments:

Post a Comment