Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Anything

How to make love

With a fire outside


The air turned up

And it’s trying to get in


It’s trying to get in

From the outside


There’s a call to leave

Leave and go where?


I’d rather make love

And try to feel warm


The heat’s not there

The heat’s in the trees


Trying to find you

But the lights are out


The answer’s in the sheets

The window glass is melting


I don’t have anything

I won’t have anything

When this is

Done


Put me in the tub

Run the water on me


Load up the car

Decide what you

Can leave


But the thing

About a fire

On the outside

Is that it never looks close


It never looks

Close enough

To concern you


So why would you run?


You’ve got time

You’ve got time to pack

You’ve got time to flip on the tv

You’ve got time to ignore me

While I’m lying on the bed

Waiting for you

To get to me last


You want to say

We gotta go

But you’re wasting time

Until there’s no time

Until there’s nothing

And I already know

I’m not going to get

Anything


Not from you anyway


Maybe the fire

Will bring me something


Maybe the fire

Will wrap me up


Maybe the fire

Will take down the walls

And warm me up


I’m not going to go

To another house

With you


I’m not going to unpack

My things

Next to your things

And talk about new chapters

And better lives


I don’t want

Another life

With you


I’d rather

Take my chances

With the fire


You’re revving the car

And beeping the horn

And I’m in the tub

And the water’s warming up

And I want to see

If I can stay here

Until all that’s left

Is me in this tub

In a burned down forest


Then I can become

A creature of the trees

A nymph

Something that is desired

By all men

Even those

Who are too concerned

With the trophies they won

In high school

And the pictures of family members

They’ve haven’t spoken to in years


You could pack every suitcase

In the world

And when you were done

You’d still leave me

Waiting for you

To come

To bed


To get around

To me


How do you make love

With a fire outside?


Well


I guess you don’t

No comments:

Post a Comment