Wednesday, January 6, 2021

I Get Lonely

I’m going to put

My head down on the pillow

And let the record play


You were supposed

To be here

Seventeen minutes ago


And I set down

A seven-minute record

And let it play


I left my door unlocked

And the windows opened

Because the air doesn’t work

And the super’s on vacation


I should be on vacation

But you were in town

So I told you

I’d hang around


But you have meetings

You have lunches

You have drinks

With people

You haven’t seen

In years


And I gotta catch up

On my loneliness


Photos of friends

On beaches

With drinks

Or at pools

At hotels

Having a time

And I’m here

Because we had a window

You and I


Outside sounds like

The kind of Wednesdays

That feel like Friday’s

And I asked to meet you out

Somewhere we could be around people

No fears about getting recognized

No worries about being spotted

And having to escape

A trendy restaurant


I wanted to have

An experience with you

Not a liaison


But I take you

For what you’re worth

And you’re worth

A few hours

After all your

Other engagements

Where you’ll look me in the eyes

And tell me

How beautiful I am

And as hard as I try

Not to believe it

Or anything you say

You’re an actor

And you act

Like you love me

So well

So good

So here

I am


I haven’t moved

And the room

Changes shape around me

Like a rock

To a river

I watch the time

Go around me

And down

And out the window

Looking for you

Looking for how far you are


Searching cars

Going up and down

The streets

Of a city

You don’t live in


Looking for me

Or looking for something

That could look

Like me


And instead you’re going to get here

And find my loneliness


There will be

The form of me

The lines of me

And if you’re lucky

The depths of me

But there will be

No me, there


Just a lot of loneliness

In a bed

In a hot room

With a window open

Waiting for someone

To show up

And put something

Next to what’s lonely

To see if it’ll make

The loneliness

Go away


But that window

Is closing


It’s open now

But not forever


Seventeen minutes

And pretty soon

The record’s

Going

To skip

No comments:

Post a Comment