Sunday, January 17, 2021

Santa Barbara Days

I don’t miss

Santa Barbara


I got in a car

And I got out


Simple as that


Everybody goes--


‘Oh, it’s so beautiful

Such a beautiful place

How could you leave

A place like that?’


You think there aren’t--


I feel like--


Like saying to them--


You think there aren’t

Bad situations

In beautiful places?


You think the nice weather

And the nice houses

And the nice people

Mean you can’t get messed up there?


I woke up every day
Like my chest was on fire

And I’d sit down for breakfast

And my mother would ask me

What was wrong

And I didn’t know


I didn’t know anything

I only knew

That I wanted

A few thousand miles

Between me

And everything else

I was waking up to

Every day


I was choking

On all that good air


Gave myself six weeks

To go as far as I could

And then once I hit Boston

That was it


I landed


Then for years

I heard--


‘Why are you here?’


Why be anywhere?


When you live

Where you were born

People know you

And that made me feel like

I couldn’t ever

Be anyone else


Once you’re in a new place

Day one

You set all the terms


You’re this

You’re that

You’re smart

You’re nice

You’re happy

Because you tell people

You’re happy


And once they believe it

They look at you

Like they believe it

And then you believe it

And that’s how

You get happy


I came from a happy place

Full of happy people

Who all took one look at me

And knew I wasn’t happy

And I was never going to be happy


So it didn’t matter

What I tried to do with myself

They knew who I was going to be

For as long as I was there


So I don’t miss Santa Barbara


I miss the breakfast sandwich

At the place I used to go to

With my Dad on Sunday’s


I miss the choir

At the church

We went to

After breakfast


I miss not knowing

It was February

Because it was too nice out

To think about things

Like seasons

Or time year


But a place is just a place

Is just a place

Is just a place


You can take it

Or leave it

Or leave it all behind


Just depends

On how fast

You’re willing

To drive


And how much

You’re ready

To forget

No comments:

Post a Comment