Friday, January 8, 2021

You're Only a Hostage If You Choose To Be

Hi Everyone!

Some of you may have seen

My post earlier last month

About that little skirmish

In the palace last month


Never in my wildest dreams

Would I have thought

That a simple trip

To Bangladesh

Where I was hoping

To discover the me I lost

After my last divorce

I would be caught up

In one of the most compelling

News events of the week


There I was

Walking through what I thought
Was the temple

Where Meg Ryan

Once learned to do yoga

And as I was checking the light

For my first on main/story cross-post

Of the day


Shots rang out

And I soon found myself

In the middle

Of what the media is

Construing as--


A hostage situation


Now, was I hostage?


Yes, I was


A hostage to my old life

A hostage to my first marriage

A hostage to the values

Of Western civilization

That teach us

All that matters

Is youth and beauty


By the way, if you’re watching this

You’ve probably my noticed

How my eyes are popping

And that’s because

Of my new friends at Revlon

And their eye-popping peacock eye-liner

More info in my bio


As far as being a ‘hostage’

During what the ‘media’ is labeling

The Siege of the Palace

I actually had a wonderful time

After I realized that my terror

Was something I was allowing

To enter my life


Once I decided
That I would no longer be afraid

And no longer have to pee as well

I looked across the room

At one of the men

I had been told was my ‘captor’

And saw him, really,

For the first time


He had the kindest eyes

And the way his biceps flexed

As he held up his machine gun

I wondered if he could hold up

My battered soul

And also show me

Where the women’s room was

Because I don’t know the word for ‘Woman’

In Bangladesharian


As he led me, in a group,

To the vase

That we would end up using

To relieve ourselves

We got to flirting a bit


I would giggle at him

And he would scream at me

And call me an infidel


The passion was...undeniable


We had the luxury

Of being trapped inside a palace

While the army surrounded the outside

In what I feel was a vast over-response

To a pretty cut-and-dry

Violent take-over

Of a historical and political landmark


I felt like I really got to know him

And he really got to know me

And then I really got to know me

And who I am

And what I want

And it turns out what I want

Is to be the life partner

Of an anarchist

And violent upriser


Which is why
I am thrilled to announce

That we are--


Engaged!


I know, I know

It all happened so fast

But you know

When you’re being dragged

Onto a helicopter

By the palace guard

As you watch the man

You’ve grown to love and trust

Over the past seventy-two hours

As he was making you shave your head

Flee into the mountains

With the guys you’re sure

Will end up being his groomsmen

You learn something about yourself


You learn that you are open

To all that life

Will bring you

And bring you to

And it brought me

To the next chapter

Of my journey


I will be returning

To Bangladesh next month

To find, um, my love

Whose name I will learn

And begin to plan our nuptials


I’m so excited

To have you all join me

On the grand adventure

Of curating a wedding
That will be a reflection

Of both our cultures and values


My love of teal and chicken piccata

And his love of camouflage and chaos


Just two crazy kids

Who couldn’t avoid

Falling in love


I’m tearing up just thinking about it


Luckily for me

This eye-popping eye-liner

Is water resistant

And if you go to my bio

You can find out

How to get thirty percent off

Your next order

From Revlon


And you can donate

To my wedding GoFundMe

Because, once again,

My parents have decided

Not to support or respect

My life choices


Not everyone

Can love love,  you guys


And they’re the ones

Who are really trapped

Inside the prince’s chambers

Fighting over cracker crumbs

With the royal dog groomer


Like, within the metaphor

Of...all that


Me?


I have never felt

More

Free

No comments:

Post a Comment