Thursday, January 7, 2021

Aziz and Utkarsh Get Coffee

      (AZIZ and UTKARSH are having coffee.)

AZIZ:  I thought you were great in the part.

UTKARSH:  Aziz, I gotta tell you, I had so much fun.

AZIZ:  It looked like you had fun.

UTKARSH:  So much fun. Such a great time.

AZIZ:  How did you end up, uh, getting that--

UTKARSH:  Oh, you know, my agent called--

AZIZ:  No audition?

UTKARSH:  It wasn't that big a part.

AZIZ:  But you're--sorry, no, that's great, but--you're so new to--

UTKARSH:  I'm not that new.

AZIZ:  But new to the point where--

UTKARSH:  And it's not that big a part. It's a supporting role.

AZIZ:  Did your agent say why they called you?

UTKARSH:  Why do they call anyone? They want--

AZIZ:  But you specifically--

UTKARSH:  They must have seen me in something else I did.

AZIZ:  It's just, uh, do you think they wanted--specifically--someone who--looks the way you do?

     (A beat.)

UTKARSH:  Uh, I'm sure that had something to do with it, yeah.

AZIZ:  Right, so--

UTKARSH:  Doesn't it always?

AZIZ:  Right, but, uh, it's just strange because--

UTKARSH:  Because?

AZIZ:  Because I'm not getting those calls anymore.

     (A beat.)

UTKARSH:  So what are you saying?

AZIZ:  I'm just wondering if the calls I'm not getting anymore are the calls that are now going to...you?

UTKARSH:  Uh...I mean, wow, okay.

AZIZ:  I'm just pointing out that--

UTKARSH:  I'm not taking your roles, Aziz.

AZIZ:  I'm not saying you're taking them. I'm saying they're being offered to you.

UTKARSH:  No, they're not.

AZIZ:  Then who else is taking them?

UTKARSH:  Lots of people could be taking them. They're roles. They could go to anyone.

AZIZ:  I--

UTKARSH:  And you don't know that this is a role that would have gone to you.

AZIZ:  Man, come on.

UTKARSH:  What?

AZIZ:  They just went out and found another person who looks--

UTKARSH:  The role wasn't written specifically for someone who--

AZIZ:  But they went with you.

UTKARSH:  So?

AZIZ:  So you know how this works.

UTKARSH:  No, Aziz, I don't think I do. Tell me how it works.

AZIZ:  If they went with you, that means they wanted someone who, you know--

UTKARSH:  What?

AZIZ:  --Who looks like you.

UTKARSH:  That doesn't necessarily mean you.

AZIZ:  Dude--

UTKARSH:  There are billions of people on Earth who look like--

AZIZ:  Come on.

UTKARSH:  And we don't even look that much alike!

AZIZ:  But we're the same type.

UTKARSH:  And you think I'm only getting these offers, because they don't want to work with you anymore?

AZIZ:  I think, yeah, that I've been put on a--like a 'Do Not Hire' list or--

UTKARSH:  I haven't heard that.

AZIZ:  How would you hear it?

UTKARSH:  I'm just saying, I haven't heard that you're on any--

AZIZ:  Well, I'm not getting work, am I?

UTKARSH:  That doesn't mean--

AZIZ:  And I think we know why.

     (A beat.)

UTKARSH:  I mean, yeah, we know why.

AZIZ:  And I just--I guess I wanted to get coffee with you, because I wanted to ask you to, you know, sort of consider what you're doing when you're taking these roles.

     (A moment.)

UTKARSH:  What am I doing?

AZIZ:  You know--

UTKARSH:  What am I doing, Aziz?

AZIZ:  You're, you know, taking roles from someone--

UTKARSH:  I'm not taking roles from you. That's not what's happening.

AZIZ:  Look, we all know there are certain types--

UTKARSH:  You keep saying types--

AZIZ:  And slots.

UTKARSH:  Now there are slots.

AZIZ:  And you're filling a niche--

UTKARSH:  A niche?

AZIZ:  --That I used to fill.

UTKARSH:  Did you just say I fill A NICHE?

AZIZ:  That we fill a--Well, I don't anymore, but--

UTKARSH:  Aziz, if you're upset about your career, call your agent. Call your publicist. But there's nothing I can--

AZIZ:  I'm saying, maybe, when they come to you with these roles--

UTKARSH:  I get a call. That's it. A call.

AZIZ:  When you get the call, you could sort of--

UTKARSH:  Sort of?

AZIZ:  ...Ask them about me?

     (A beat.)

UTKARSH:  What would I ask them?

AZIZ:  You know, if they...considered me?

UTKARSH:  You want me to ask people offering me a job if they've considered offering you the job instead?

AZIZ:  Not every time they call you, just--

UTKARSH:  That's crazy, man.

AZIZ:  You can't be taking all these roles! There have to be one or two you don't want.

UTKARSH:  Were you turning down roles for other people when you were getting called?

AZIZ:  I had to turn down some of them, yeah.

UTKARSH:  But you weren't doing that on behalf of anyone else.

AZIZ:  There was nobody else! I was the first one!

UTKARSH:  You were not the first one.

AZIZ:  The only one I knew of.

UTKARSH:  Is this some kind of 'you owe me' moment?

AZIZ:  Noooooo.

     (A beat.)

I mean...

UTKARSH:  I'm going to go.

AZIZ:  Do you agree with the reason I'm not getting cast?

UTKARSH:  I don't know that there is a reason.

AZIZ:  We both know there's a reason.

UTKARSH:  I don't know, man--

AZIZ:  You're letting them persecute me.

UTKARSH:  Nobody's persecuting you.

AZIZ:  I'm being kept from working.

UTKARSH:  You were touring! You did a Netflix special!

AZIZ:  Yeah, they milked me for redemption ratings and now that's done, and I'm not--They're not even letting me do a third season of my show.

UTKARSH:  They who?

AZIZ:  Netflix.

UTKARSH:  Do a show somewhere else then.

AZIZ: Where?

UTKARSH:  I don't know, man, Showtime?

AZIZ:  ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW?

UTKARSH:  I thought you'd be happy for me, man.

AZIZ:  I am. I am, man, I just--I just also want to work. And I don't know if there's, you know, enough work to go around.

UTKARSH:  Well that's--I don't know.

AZIZ:  I don't know either.

UTKARSH:  But whatever the reason is you're--you know, whatever--there's nothing--I can't--

AZIZ:  Okay.

UTKARSH:  I'm sorry, but--

AZIZ:  It's okay.

UTKARSH:  But they'll call again, okay? Whoever they are. They'll--I'm sure they'll call again.

AZIZ:  Yeah.

UTKARSH:  And maybe they'll be calling me too, and then we can call each other, and talk about how we're both getting called.

AZIZ:  Yeah, that would be great.

UTKARSH:  It'll happen, man.

AZIZ:  I hope so.

UTKARSH:  I'm telling you. It's going to happen.

AZIZ:  Yeah, I mean--anything could happen.

     End of Play

No comments:

Post a Comment