Sunday, January 3, 2021

I Remember You in That

I never told anyone

I was in the show


I wouldn’t

I would never--


And you could check


I mean, if you wanted to


And also,

I got called in for it

The part

I almost got it


I think I got to, like

The third callback or something


And, uh,

I was really sad

When I didn’t get in

But

Then, like a year after,

I had someone come up to me

And say--


Oh, you did so good

In that show


And I told them--


I wasn’t in that show


And they--


Like, it was crazy

They were like--


No, no, you were

You definitely were


And I said--


No, I wasn’t


But it was like

They didn’t even believe me

Which was weird


But whatever, right?


That happens


But then it kept happening


People would--


It’s not just that they

Thought I was in the show


They remembered me

Being in the show

And they remembered me

Being really good in it


And then I started to get

Called in to audition for stuff

And I’d get in there

And they’d go--


By the way, we loved you

In that show


And I was like--


What do I do?


Do I keep correcting people?


Because I need to work

But now I’m getting work

I was actually getting hired

Kind of based on a show

That I was never actually in

But I never told anyone

I was in it either


It was like my career

Was being handed to me

By the Mandela Effect or something


But yeah, I kept working

And people kept complimenting me

And I--


I wasn’t trying to lie

And I didn’t lie, but--


I wouldn’t always correct them either


I would just let them say

Whatever they were saying

And then one day

I’m at a party

This networking thing I got invited to

And my agent told me to go

And I’m there

And I see this guy come up to me

And he goes--


Hey’


And I go--


Hey


And he goes--


Just so you know

I’m the one who played that role


And, like

I never thought of this

But he told me

That nobody remembered him

Being in that show

And when he would tell people he was

They would look at him

Like he was lying

And eventually

He just started leaving it off his resume

Because people were thinking

That he was a liar or something

And it was costing him work

And it became this thing

That really bothered him

Which I get

And we talked about it

And I apologized

And he said I had nothing to apologize for

But I felt like I did

And then we broke apart

And kept working the room

But


Uh


I thought about destiny
And how sometimes

Maybe you beat your destiny

Like maybe I was destined to be in that part

And he wasn’t

But somehow destiny got overrode in that moment somehow

But it didn’t matter

Because destiny got its own back

In memory

You know?


Like, nobody remembers him
They remember me

And the longer time goes on

The more the memory is going to be true

And the reality less so


And maybe one day

I’ll actually remember

Being in that show

And maybe he won’t


And even though you can check it

It won’t really matter, will it?


Because who’s going to check?


Who would bother checking

When they remember it

So well

Already?

No comments:

Post a Comment