Friday, June 13, 2014

Leaving Rhode Island: Alaska


I tried hiding out but they found me
The knock on the basement door
Asking me to come up

My Mom crying
My Dad with his head in his hands
Saying this was like Nazi Germany

The officers saying they didn’t like it any better than I did
But they had their orders and so off I went

First to jail, because I had just turned eighteen
Then, after a few days
To Alaska

My parents found me a place there
This old woman was looking for somebody
To live with her
Cook her meals
Wash her clothes
Stuff like that

Sounded like a good fit
Like I could, you know
Stay out of trouble

When I got there, everything was going fine
Alaska is a really beautiful place
Not really what you’d expect

The old woman was nice
She had a soft voice
Never yelled
And her she didn’t let me do half the stuff for her
That I was supposed to do

Turns out her son placed the ad
Looking for help
But she was pretty independent
Used to wash her curtains by hand
In a big tub out in the backyard

I liked her

Not that she became a surrogate grandma or anything

We’d eat meals together
And talk sometimes
But mostly we just lived next to each other
Not really with each other

Then one night, I hear something in the kitchen
And I get up, out of bed
To see if maybe the old woman tripped and fell or something

I walk down the hallway
And as soon as I’m in the doorway to the kitchen
I see the blood

The old woman’s lying on the ground
And there’s a guy standing over her
Dressed in black
Holding a knife

He came in through the sliding glass doors
And she must have been up having a midnight snack
He didn’t even give her a chance to yell for help
Or maybe she did, I don’t know
I guess there’s no way for me to know
Except that I’d like to think if she did and I had heard her I…

Anyway, the guy came towards me with the knife
And I disarmed him pretty quickly
He wasn’t expecting it
Young girl like me
And he was twice my size
But those are always the easiest guys
To take down

I took the knife and I jammed it into his throat
Just like that
Didn’t even have to think about it

He fell to the floor and made a…a…

Well it was loud
Scared me
The sound of it sort of—

Woke me up

I don’t think I had really been awake up until that point

I knew it was self-defense
But something in me just sort of cracked
And I grabbed some clothes and my coat
And I took off out the door

Been out the door ever since

See, when my parents hid me down in that basement
That wasn’t because they were trying to protect me

They were trying to protect other people
From me

From what I could do

I don’t know about the other people they sent away
But I’ve always…

I have a problem
Or an ability
It depends on how you look at it

I can hurt people
If I have to
Or…

I wonder if they knew that
The state, the government
When they came to get me

But why not keep me in jail?
Why let me out into the world
And risk me being the guy coming through the window
Instead of the girl he’s running at?

A lot of people have theories about
The people who were exiled
About why we were chosen

I wonder if maybe it was because they knew something about us
That we’re all…bombs, you know?
In one way or another

And maybe they figured…
If you can’t disarm a bomb
Just make sure it’s in somebody else’s backyard
When it goes off

No comments:

Post a Comment