Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Leaving Rhode Island: Newport



When you abandon your pregnant wife in India
The world does not fall apart

We like to think that people who do awful things
Particularly ‘leaving,’ particularly people who leave people who need them
We like to think that those people, the ones who leave
Will be punished for such an action
But the reality
The truth
Is that
They aren’t

Not really

Not by anybody but themselves

And even then, only if they have a conscience
A sense of right and wrong
The ability to feel guilt
Or displeasure with themselves

I left my pregnant wife in India
Sleeping in our bed
A baby crying somewhere
The sound of a man cutting up meat
Odd, very odd
At that hour of night
Soft music playing
The night air sitting still
Waiting patiently for the morning

That was how I left her

You’re here to listen to me talk about leaving Rhode Island
But Rhode Island is just one of the many things
I’ve left in my lifetime

Women, friends, family, responsibilities, careers
Unpaid bills, dancing partners, half-way finished projects
Movies, plays, books, cultivated personalities

I’ve walked out on everything

There are people who are only good at leaving
And please, don’t dismiss that
Leaving can be a very difficult thing to do
I think we can all agree on that
And so if you’re exceptionally good at leaving
It’s nothing to sneeze at

I’m good at leaving
I learned from the best
My father left when I was young
And I told myself one day I’d have a kid
Who I’d never leave
And here I was
Leaving before the kid even showed up

You want me to say I feel bad?

I feel bad all the time

Who knows which specific thing I’ve done wrong
Resonates the loudest with me

I’d have to imagine leaving your wife and child
Would be the worst thing
But it’s hard to say, really

I went back to Rhode Island
To Newport, the bridge

It was late—another night
Another night with the air waiting for something
Not for the morning though
Just for something to happen

I took a deep breath
I looked down
I thought about it
And I thought
And I thought and I thought

One day you walk out
And then the next day
You walk out on yourself
That’s how that works

If you ever get a chance to meet my daughter
Those of you here tonight
Do me a favor

Tell me she was better off without me

Tell her
That if she ever falls in love
Make sure it’s with somebody
Who knows how to stick around

No comments:

Post a Comment