Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Leaving Rhode Island: Expunged


Dear Rhode Island,

Thank you for the offer to return
Unfortunately, I must decline

Allow me to explain

Five years ago, when you expunged me
(Isn’t that a fun word?  I loooove that word)
I was more than a little devastated

To think that I could never enjoy my home state
Ever again

No more driving by the big blue bug
No more Cardi’s commercials
No more Trinity Rep Christmas Carol

I was bereft

I moved to a little coastal town in Maine
Where I re-established myself
As the crazy young woman
Who teaches third grade

That’s right—I became a schoolmarm

It was quite lovely

My students loved me
I loved them
And I started to think
Well, if I can’t have Rhode Island
At least I can have Maine lobsters

And that didn’t seem too bad

Then one day, I was looking through the travel section at my library
And I came across a book on Rhode Island

Huh, I thought, and then without thinking
I picked it up, and sat down in one of the comfy chairs
And I began to read

I was flabbergasted

I had no idea how much I didn’t know

Now, as I said, I wasn’t happy to leave
But I did think I knew what I was leaving

I’d never been one of those people
Who complained about being bored with Rhode Island
But I also didn’t realize how many things I was missing out on

There were towns I had never even heard of
Beautiful places I’d never gone
Events and festivals I didn’t even know about

Isn’t it remarkable to live in a place
And know so little about it

Rhode Island, I almost feel as though
We were in a marriage
And I stopped appreciating you
My loving husband
While I went about my days
Assuming I knew all there was to know about you

I sat there in that library
Leafing through gorgeous photo after gorgeous photo
Fun fact after fun fact
Deep, descriptive passages about history
And politics
And dining
And people

The people

Oh my goodness

All the people I never met

And to think so many of us spend our days
Feeling bored
Cut off
Alone

What a shame

Dear Rhode Island, I’m sure you’re thinking
‘Well, if she feels that way
Why doesn’t she just come back?’

Well, it’s because I have a new home now
And I think I owe it a little more of my time

I had my chance to explore you
And I squandered it
I don’t intend to do that
With the place I live now

I wish you well in all things
And I hope some of my fellow exiles do return
And take full advantage of all you have to offer

If I had to pick something I missed most
I would pick driving back from a trip to my mother’s in Hartford
The city of Providence
So quiet and still
Resting in a way that other cities can never truly rest
But still alive, still active
Ready to be woken up at a moment’s notice
And offer up a new day

That—and coffee milk

It just doesn’t taste the same anywhere else

No comments:

Post a Comment