Monday, June 30, 2014

Leaving Rhode Island: Rose


I came back for my grandma
Nothing else could get me back

I really don’t mind it here
But I got a girl now in Lowell
And, you know, a life there and shit
So I just wasn’t thinking too much
About coming back here
Not even when I got the letter saying I could

But my grandma Rose was sick
So I gave my girl a kiss on the forehead
And I said ‘I’ll be back when I’m back’
She nodded
She understood
She’s a good girlfriend, the best
I’m going to marry this girl
Just don’t tell her
I’m still saving up for the ring

Anyway, I get home on a Saturday afternoon
Pretty hot out
The kind of weather where it feels wrong to be inside
Where you get depressed if you’re not at a cookout or the beach

Bad dying weather

People should only die in the winter
Last thing they see is snow
It’s nice
It’s moving

I walk into my grandma’s bedroom
And she’s lying there
My mother sitting next to her

‘She’s been waiting for you,’ my mom says
‘Hanging on until you got here’

My mom gets up
I sit down
I put my hand in my grandma’s hand

She’s opening her eyes, closing ‘em
I don’t even know if she knows I’m there

I say, ‘Rose?  Rose, it’s okay.  You can let go.’

She opens her eyes
Sees me
And says—

‘What are you kidding me?  I’m not going to die in the summer.’

Then she gets up
Takes a bath
And asks when we’re going for doughboys
At Oakland Beach

I know it’s probably not the story you were expecting
But I don’t know
I don’t think it gets any more Rhode Island than that

No comments:

Post a Comment